HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Fur prices in Ohio (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/226395-fur-prices-ohio.html)

Lanse couche couche 01-09-2008 08:12 AM

Fur prices in Ohio

I took all my fur to the fur buyer yesterday. The prices are up quite a bit from last year on coons, butare down on mink and muskrats. Here is what I got for green fur:

23 Coons: $280.00
2 Muskrats: $4.00
1 Buck mink: $12.00

mauser06 01-09-2008 01:19 PM

RE: Fur prices in Ohio

what were the coon sizes like?? 12$ average aint bad...just curious...

i know my buddy got atleast 30 pelts in the freezer...and were startin to drop alot of bigger boars now. not my dogs so i dont keep the fur...just go along for the hunt..he will be happy to make 300+ dollars over doing NOTHING! lol...kid dont even skin them and his dog usually dont do the treeing lol...buddy gives him the pelts coz he does half the driving and that buddy doesnt feel like dealing with them lol..his dog trees em, he skins em but after that hes done with them lol

Lanse couche couche 01-09-2008 01:29 PM

I had 12 that were top dollar coons in the XX and XXX range and got $16 apiece. The rest ranged from X-large down to a couple of really small ones that only went for $2 or $3 dollars. Not nearly as much as 25 years ago, but a vast improvement over last year when i averaged about$7.50 on 30 coons.

mauser06 01-09-2008 01:36 PM

was just curious how the sizes ranged..would be a different story if they were all little or all were XXLs

dad and i used to run hard when we had our own dogs...i remember when i was young it was practically a 2nd income...gas was cheap too so driving to hunt didnt hurt much...20+$ a hide wasnt uncommon..that was 10 or so years ago...then it go so bad that we couldnt find a buyer anywhere...

good to see things are getting better...

Lanse couche couche 01-09-2008 01:39 PM

I think that this is the best in about 15 years or more. Unfortunately, this is a really bad year for coons in Ohio. the population is down to next to nothing in some areas like southwest Ohio. I got all of mine except for one in Illinois.

mauser06 01-09-2008 02:08 PM

maybe im wrong on the numbers, or we got lucky those first couple years, or that was the year dad fleshed and stretched them all and we had a banner year...i dont know...i know for a while it was worth shooting them down, but then it got so bad we only took the gun once in a while to shoot one down for the dogs and gave the pelt to someone that we knew that did keep them..

4 Buck 01-09-2008 08:08 PM

A buddy of mine here in central iowa took in around 70 coon the other day and got a round 10 1/2 average.

BUCKEYEhunter140 01-11-2008 03:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

I think that this is the best in about 15 years or more. Unfortunately, this is a really bad year for coons in Ohio. the population is down to next to nothing in some areas like southwest Ohio. I got all of mine except for one in Illinois.
Same here man in jefferson county ohio i can't find one cooon a few tracks her and there but nothin. i have 2 coons in the frezzer compaired to 23 last year and last year i only trapped 6 days!!

i don't know what happened but there just isn't any coon thi year i heard it was cause of the rabbies vacceen that after they flew the plan over they all died i think i will write a letter this year asking the DNR what happened to the coon and see if i get a response!!

good luck