Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote hunting in ny?

Old 01-08-2008, 03:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default Coyote hunting in ny?

Who on here coyote hunts in ny? I bought property up there and was wondering how yote hunting is in the central areas of ny/ herkimer county and areas around there? Whats their population like up in that area? Any pics?
Thanks
Mike
Old 01-08-2008, 05:18 PM

Default RE: Coyote hunting in ny?

Up here around the finger lake areas they run dogs a lot..I guess sometime
they do good.Not sure of the numbers though..We call them around here as
well. My neighbor gets a few every year..Thats about all I can tell you
right now..
Old 01-08-2008, 05:41 PM
Fork Horn

what does "running dogs" mean? Does it mean that you use PET dogs to attract the coyotes? what calls do you like the best up there and how many have you gotten?
Old 01-08-2008, 06:01 PM

My God man--These dogs are trained to kill...Most of the guys don't even carry a gun..
Old 01-08-2008, 06:43 PM

i hear they get pretty huge in the finger lakes too. A bowshop I go to has a picture of one someone shot that was around 85#
Old 01-08-2008, 07:18 PM

Every once in a while we have them out back in the yard..I think they might be trying to get in my chicken coop..Now the snow is gone no change of tracks..They really sing up a song out here some nights..
Old 01-09-2008, 06:19 AM

its just such a difference ....i like freaked out when i saw that pic of that huge coyote..I was used to the coyotes we had in CA and the west coast that looked like tiny little starved mutts.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:27 AM
Fork Horn

I'm in syracuse, and hunt the skaneateles area quite a bit. They are out there, and they aren't stupid. I shot a 63lber last year, and I thought that was huge.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:21 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: johnny2

My God man--These dogs are trained to kill...Most of the guys don't even carry a gun..
are you serious? so you use pet dogs that attract a coyote and when the coyote comes the dog attacks it and kills it?
Old 01-09-2008, 03:04 PM

Yeah man--There is a place up here in Oweago Not sure of the spelling....Anyway-they have a 500 acre fenched in where they train these dogs to run coyote...My son has 3 dogs he runs and last week or so his dogs caught one in the pen and killed it...If this happens you the owner have to pay a 100 dollar fine...They guy that runs the operation gets the coyotes from the state,I guess....It's quite a set up to see..They also train fox hounds as well...My son said the biggest problems is that sometimes the dogs go on for ever..He has a GPS tracking system for his dogs..Supposed to tell you where the dogs are all the time....He could tell you more if you want to know..

Quick Reply: Coyote hunting in ny?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.