HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Crows (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/225760-crows.html)

Crowkilla 01-05-2008 09:58 AM

Crows

Do any of you guys hunt crows? I love a good crow shoot, but I have never heard anyone talking about it on here. If any if you have any experience with crows, I would like your opinion on a couple of things:

1. Do you prefer hunting them over a field or in timber?
2. Do you prefer an electronic call, a mouth call, or a combination?
3. Do you prefer fight style calls, rally calls, or a combination?

I generally hunt them from a blind in a field. I use an electronic caller for the primary attractant with fight style calls, butI use a mouth call close in. I keep the mouth calling to growls and soft, barking"caws". I use an owl decoy placed on a post 20 yards from the blind and 6 or so crow decoys hung in the branches of a tree 40 yards away, opposite my blind/calling location. We generally shoot the daylights out of them, but I am just looking for ways to improve. Any suggestions, opinions, questions, or criticisms are appreciated.

johnny2 01-05-2008 11:56 AM

RE: Crows

When time permits,I like to put some cracked corn or dog food out and maybe a decoy or two
around it..Then snipe'm with the 22-250 or my step son uses his 243..I think its good practice for him.
Sometime they will come back if they don't see you..We use a pop up blind set back in the brush..
One time we had a fox sneaking in along the hedge row.I have tried the feeding crow call with
some luck..We have certain days here where you can and can not hunt them...They destroy
a lot of small game birds..Good luck..

Airsoft Dude 01-05-2008 07:04 PM

I Have Called Them In But Not In Season LOL

Bocajnala 01-05-2008 08:23 PM

I hunt them by just walking through my woods. We have crows everywhere and it is a challenge.. Never tried to call them. But your way works much better I am sure, I've only ever gotten four of them.

crazedbowhunter 01-06-2008 01:04 PM

ORIGINAL: johnny2

When time permits,I like to put some cracked corn or dog food out and maybe a decoy or two
around it..Then snipe'm with the 22-250 or my step son uses his 243..I think its good practice for him.
Sometime they will come back if they don't see you..We use a pop up blind set back in the brush..
One time we had a fox sneaking in along the hedge row.I have tried the feeding crow call with
some luck..We have certain days here where you can and can not hunt them...They destroy
a lot of small game birds..Good luck..
Don't forget that baiting is illegal in PA.;)

demoIL 01-06-2008 06:36 PM

I was hunting yotes this morning and had a shot at some crows, I never really thought about shooting them but now that I read this post maybe I'll have to give it a try and see what it's like..

20 slugs 01-06-2008 09:26 PM

Hey crowkilla your itdoing the way we hunt them some times we,ll put a dead one at the base of the owl on the ground with the wing up to flutter in the wind works like magic. They go nuts with a young or hurt call can,t reload the 12 fast enough.

Crowkilla 01-07-2008 09:26 AM

Hey guys, thanks for all the feed back. Baiting is not allowed where I live. Otherwise I'd be setting out all sorts of corn piles. For any of you that haven't tried it,crow huntingcan be an awesome afternoon. Just go get a Johnny Stewart caller, a couple calling tapes, a few crow decoys, and an owl decoy and you're in business.

The dead one with the flapping wing definitely works. Drives them crazy to see a fallen comrade.

If any of you guys have a serious interest in giving this a try, check out this website. http://www.crowbusters.com/It has tons of information and strategies.

buckhunter14 01-07-2008 10:43 AM

I call crows often and it is fun for a decent afternoon.

1. Do you prefer hunting them over a field or in timber?

Answer: Depends on the area and time of year. After they pick a crow field, or spread manuer crows land more often. Later afternoon hunts tend to be in the timber because they are heading to roost anyhow.

2. Do you prefer an electronic call, a mouth call, or a combination?

Answer: I always have my electronic call with me, and it is almost always on. If crows are quiet for the day, I will turn it off and hit the mouth call a few times (thought it rarely works).

3. Do you prefer fight style calls, rally calls, or a combination?

Answer: I usually use "fight" style calling. We have snow during the majority of the crow hunting season. This leads to my main technique. I will brng the ole' bottle of ketchup and get a good spread of "blood". Set out three decoys surrounding the "blood" and it sets up a fight seen.

Crows are much smarter then people credit them.

johnny2 01-07-2008 07:20 PM

I don't think the game commission is going to say much about some corn or dog food
being out in the field..I have even used road killed rabbits and such..Haven't had
anyone say anything yet...[8D]