Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

First Post: New Rifle

Old 01-01-2008, 03:31 AM

Default First Post: New Rifle

I'm new to this particular board, so I thought I'd say hi. I used part of my x-mas money to buy a new .22 rifle for target and small game fun. I got a Savage Arms Mark II G, just like below, but mine came with a scope. I love this rifle. After 10 min. of sighting in, it is crazy accurate, and hasn't lost it's zero at all, after hundreds of rounds (I bought it before x-mas LOL).

Anyway, I was shooting it in my backyard, b/c I have a natural backstop from a hill thats at least 30 feet high, but found out NY has a law (only been in upstate here for5 months)that it's illegal to discharge a firearm within 500ft of a dwelling, and my neighbors homes are about 200 feet away. Even though the shot was still safe, I rather not take the chances of doing something technically illegal.

So I've been looking at ranges in my area (Newfield: Near Ithaca) to shoot rounds off every now and then.

Well, just wanted to say hello.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:49 PM

Default RE: First Post: New Rifle

Usually those kinds of laws only apply if you don't have the consent of the building owner. It could be different in NY, but here in NM if you have written permission from the homeowner you can shoot five feet from their house with no legal recourse.
Old 01-01-2008, 03:35 PM

Hey Newfield---They have a range somplace in Newfield..Not sure where it is..There is also some up here around my place in Trumansburg..I have my own right out back the house that I built myself..There is also a nice one in Lody ..If you know where that is..You can shoot,200 yards there I think...Most are for shot guns though..That sucks I say..We need a good rifle range around here,like up to 500 yards at least..
Old 01-01-2008, 04:55 PM

ya theres the newfield rod and gun club, but their hours are kind of weird. And every other range is mostly shotguns and clays. Theres probably not much of a demand for rifle ranges, because they just started allowing rifles for hunting (big game) in some of the southern counties, in 2007. Counties like Tioga and surrounding are now rifle legal, but the more populated areas like tompkins, schuyler, etc, are still shotgun only. I can't wait for legal use of rifles here in tompkins if it ever happens, because i prefer shooting rifles to shotguns, but like i said, thats probably why the majority of the ranges are shotty only.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nice gun, welcome aboard!!!!!!!!
Old 01-02-2008, 03:17 PM

I can take you to a place where you can shoot up to 500 if you like..Do you know where Towanda,PA
is...I used to shoot there a lot...Let me know and you can go with me sometime...I also deer hunt down there as well as around here..John
Old 01-02-2008, 07:52 PM

well yahoo maps says its only like 50 miles away. hows the deer huntin' down there? what cal. do you use for your deer?