HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   new to trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/224792-new-trapping.html)

eli243 12-29-2007 07:05 PM

new to trapping

me and my buddy have just started trapping at the beggining of this month. right now we are just trying for raccoon and fox. we have 63 onieda victor 1 1/2s that we got from his granddad. we had not caught anything for a while but we changed our settups last week and we have caught 10 coons 1 possum and a gray fox. is this good for a couple of 17 yr olds that just got into it?

#40Fan 12-29-2007 07:37 PM

RE: new to trapping

I would say that you guys are doing good. I don't trap any, but was thinking about it recently. Give us some details on the setup.

nctaxi 12-29-2007 07:39 PM

Are you having fun? If so then you're doing it right. It's almost like Christmas everyday when you check cause you never know what animal you are going to have. Fun outsmarting them isn't it?

eli243 12-29-2007 08:09 PM

oh yeah its fun! we meet at the gate to the property at 5am every mornin and just cant wait to get out there and check em. were tryin to get up as many as we can to buy more traps. right now we are just walkin the creeks and diggin a small hole in the bank, settin the trap in front of it , tyin it to a tree or root and covering it with a few leaves. oh and we put sticks up on three sides of the set to kinda funnel em in. both of our granddads used to be real big trappers so were gettin some pointers from them. we had a big boar coon break the tie wire this mornin and after bout 30mins of knockin around the woods we found him and the trap 100yds awayin an armadillo hole(and very angry!) but we gave him a special .22 chill pill.:D

Lanse couche couche 12-30-2007 06:16 PM

Sounds like a really good start. You might try wiring the traps to some drags instead of fixed objects that allow the coons something solid to pull against.

Dairy King 12-30-2007 08:48 PM

How do you guys dispatch them after you catch them? I just two traps and am getting into it, but I'm still learning before I get out there.

eli243 12-31-2007 03:24 PM

we caught our first fox today! i was soo happy. i guess he was just curious about one of our coon sets but obviously he liked sardines. ill try to get a pic on here.

Buckmasterflex 01-02-2008 08:13 PM

Are you just throwing the sardines in the hole your digging?

eli243 01-06-2008 06:44 PM

yeah pretty much. we put a leaf over the hole to make em work the set longer