Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

new 50 bmg thread

Old 12-20-2007, 07:42 PM

Default new 50 bmg thread

Since we got off topic and threadjacked, I started this.

Ok, I talked to a friend of mine who is going to the naval academy next year, and both his parents graduated from the naval academy as well, so I'd like to think he knows a little bit about the military. He said that there is no restrictions on the uses of the .50 cal sniper in battle. It was first created in the vietnam war for the purpose of killing enemy soldiers at distances of up to 2 miles, now with the possibility of even longer ranges. I can't remember the creator's name, but most sniper movies about the vietnam war were based on him. I believe he has the longest recorded kill record for an American, at over 2 miles. This was with something like a 22 power scope too. All I can say is wow, that gun and that guy are bothridiculous.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:14 PM

Default RE: new 50 bmg thread

That would be Carlos Hathcock, he set the then longest record at 2,250 meters with a 50 cal machine gun with optics. He was a Marine Gunnery Sergeant. Carlos Hathcock is a friggin legend.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:36 PM
Typical Buck

Carlos "White Feather" Hathcock is the man you are talking about, this is from wilkpedia:

In 1967, Hathcock set the record for the 20th century's longest combat kill with a Browning M2 .50 BMG machine gun mounting a telescopic sight. The distance was 2,286 meters or 1.42 miles. Hathcock was one of several individuals to utilize the Browning M2 machine gun in the sniping role. This success led to the adoption of the .50 BMG cartridge as a viable anti-personnel and anti-equipment sniper round. Sniper rifles have been designed for this round.
The record stood until the 21st century, when in 2002 it was broken during Operation Anaconda in Afganistan by a Canadian three-man sniper team led by Master Corporal Graham Ragsdale from the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI). The record itself was set by Corporal Rob Furlong with a shot of 2,430 meters from a McMillan TAC-50 Long-Range Sniper Weapon on a Taliban fighter.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:39 PM
Typical Buck

Check this shot out made with a 308!

[blockquote]RAMADI, Iraq -- Gazing through the telescopic sight of his M-24 rifle, Army Staff Sgt. Jim Gilliland, leader of Shadow sniper team, fixed his eye on the Iraqi insurgent who had just killed an American soldier.

His quarry stood nonchalantly in the fourth-floor bay window of a hospital in battle-torn Ramadi, still clasping a long-barreled Kalashnikov. Instinctively allowing for wind speed and bullet drop, Shadow's commander aimed 12 feet high.
A single shot hit the Iraqi in the chest and killed him instantly. It had been fired from a range of more than three-quarters of a mile, well beyond the capacity of the powerful Leupold sight, accurate to 3,300 feet.
'I believe it is the longest confirmed kill in Iraq with a 7.62mm rifle,' said Sgt. Gilliland, 28, who hunted squirrels in Double Springs, Ala., from the age of 5 before progressing to deer -- and then to insurgents and terrorists.
'He was visible only from the waist up. It was a one-in-a-million shot. I could probably shoot a whole box of ammunition and never hit him again.'
[/blockquote]

Staff Sergeant Jim Gilliland, who has an estimated 55 to 65 kills in less than five months, is certainly being modest. 1 down, 1 billion to go. Of course, if all the Muslims in Europe and America were to kindly get out, it would make it easier for us to get rid of all of Islam.

[/align]
Old 12-20-2007, 10:15 PM

In 02 they had a confirmed kill of 2430 meters
Old 12-20-2007, 11:33 PM

ORIGINAL: johnnybravoo77

Carlos "White Feather" Hathcock is the man you are talking about, this is from wilkpedia:

In 1967, Hathcock set the record for the 20th century's longest combat kill with a Browning M2 .50 BMG machine gun mounting a telescopic sight. The distance was 2,286 meters or 1.42 miles. Hathcock was one of several individuals to utilize the Browning M2 machine gun in the sniping role. This success led to the adoption of the .50 BMG cartridge as a viable anti-personnel and anti-equipment sniper round. Sniper rifles have been designed for this round.
The record stood until the 21st century, when in 2002 it was broken during Operation Anaconda in Afganistan by a Canadian three-man sniper team led by Master Corporal Graham Ragsdale from the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry (PPCLI). The record itself was set by Corporal Rob Furlong with a shot of 2,430 meters from a McMillan TAC-50 Long-Range Sniper Weapon on a Taliban fighter.

Is there an echo in here?
Old 12-21-2007, 07:58 AM
Typical Buck

Sorry, there wasnt a reply when I started looking up info!

This guy was pretty cool. The guy that made the shot with 308 is pretty amazing too!
Old 12-21-2007, 10:20 AM

ORIGINAL: johnnybravoo77

Sorry, there wasnt a reply when I started looking up info!

This guy was pretty cool. The guy that made the shot with 308 is pretty amazing too!
I'm just messin with ya bro Hathcock is mentioned in every sniper book i've ever read. I have a feeling every sniper book made after this year will mention that Army Sgt. as that is an amazing shot.