Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:33 AM
Fork Horn

Default 223

I HAVE A ROSSI 223 AND GETING A SCOOPE FOR IT WHAT WOULD BE A GOOD CHEAP ONE THAT I COULD PICK UP FROM WAL MART ANDWHAT WOULD YOU SIGHT IT IN AT 100 200 YRD OR MORE THIS IS MY FIRSTTRY ATHUNTING THE DOGS SO WHAT WOULD BE A GOOD ROUND TO USE AND WHAT CALLS
Old 12-20-2007, 10:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 223

Pick a 3X9X40 scope and put it on. Sounds like you'er on a tight budget, so just get the best you can afford and upgrade it when you can afford to. Sight it in for about 1.5" high at 100 yards and you'll be able to kill coyotes out to 200 yards by putting the cross hair on the kill zone.
About any hand call on the market will call a coyote. If you're new at it, I'd suggest getting a couple of different enclosed reed calls, maybe a PC-2 from Dan Thompson, or a circe rabbit call will work for starters. I prefer open reeds, but they do take some getting used to, maybe even a little practice to get good consistant sounds from them. The enclosed reed calls sound good just about no matter how hard you blow them.
If you've never called before, I'd suggest getting a calling dvd or two and watch and listen to how it's done, to give you some ideas of the sounds you need to mimic. Or, find someone in your area that already knows how to call, and go with them a time or two, you'll learn alot more and quicker that way than any other way.

Use some hollow points, soft points,or ballistic tipped ammo. thatare accurate out of your gun, and go for it.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:20 AM

Do what Howler said!

Spot on!
Old 12-20-2007, 10:41 AM

If you can afford $115, the Mueller APV is an excellent scope. I have one on my NEF 223 and love it. Chances are, you will not have a problem, but if you do, I have heard that Mueller has excellent customer support. If you do some searching around on other sites, you will find many happy customers. Just another option.

http://www.mizzoumuleguns.com/id12.html

About a year ago I bought a 4-12 Simmons at Walmart and put on the 223. It was ABSOLUTE JUNK. I have a 3-9 Simmons that came on a Savage package rifle. That 3-9 is a pretty darn good scope. It was the reason I purchased the 4-12 Simmons. What a mistake.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:03 PM

I'm having a rough time right now with that rossi .223 trying to get any accurracy. Best load I have found was Remington 45 gr.They shoot okay but my Ruger 10/22 shoots better groups at 100 yds than the Rossi does with that bullet.