HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   considering coyote hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/223571-considering-coyote-hunting.html)

shaggy1224 12-20-2007 06:43 PM

considering coyote hunting

i've been thinking about doing some coyote hunting but don't have a clue where to start. i have an old 22-250 i bought from my wifes grandma but it needs a scope. should i buy a bunch of calls? decoys? any suggestions would be great? thanx

eelriver 12-20-2007 07:35 PM

RE: considering coyote hunting

I bought one of the electronic calls, they work great and it's perfect for a beginner. Turn it on........get ready.

wiscoshooter 12-20-2007 07:43 PM

be careful, some states don't allow electronic calls.

eelriver 12-21-2007 01:07 PM

Indiana allows eltronic calls for predators but not deer or turkey. You bring up a good point however, electronic calls aren't always allowed.

We even use the injured rabbit call when we hunt crows. It's funny when you play those things the first thing to show up are the crows, then a hawk, and finally a yote if your lucky.

Best day we ever had: It was -5 for four straight days and we had about 8 inches of snow on the ground. We set up 5 places and called in 4 coyotes. Two came in to one setup.They must have been real hungry! All appeared to be young coyotes. They didn't hesitate, they came running in like we were ringing the dinner bell!We've gone out other times and get no responses? It's a fun way to get out when nothing else is in season.

Howler 12-21-2007 03:14 PM

Yip, no doubt that when it's really cold for several days at a time, the coyotes have got to eat more and eat more often, which makes them come to the call much better.

I'd also suggest buying a calling video, or two, and watch, listen and learn how it's done. That will at least give you some good ideas on how to do it.

Bullet Hole Bailey 12-21-2007 05:57 PM

The verminator videos are VERY GOOD!

matters 12-21-2007 08:56 PM

Get you a scope and some Primos Randy Anderson mouth calls. They work and it just feels better when you know your the one that called in the animal and not some electronic caller. Rabbit squalling is really easy to learn on these calls but will drive your wife crazy it did mine :):). It also gives you a good reason to get out there this time of year have fun with it.

Warkie 12-22-2007 07:03 AM

I agree with the suggestion to get a video or two. I bought a Randy Anderson video and more than anything else, it gives you some ideas to think about. It's good to hear how they use the mouth calls and how they should sound. Good luck!
[align=left] [/align]

il coyote 12-22-2007 10:44 AM

Personally, my main focus at this point would be to get that rifle as accurate as possible. Who knows, it might shoot like a turd, and then an electronic call isn't going to be worth much to you for awhile.

bcguideoutfitters 12-26-2007 12:08 AM

What I suggest is find a good Coyote Hunting Outfitter..The run somewhere around 200 per day...you will learn more this way than years of trial and error...