Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

freezing squirrelz

Old 12-18-2007, 08:26 AM

Default freezing squirrelz

I've been hunting squirrels in some woods near my house with my pellet gun. I shot one in the head yesterday, and was going to continue my search for tree rats and rabbits and then some animal started snarling at me. It was not a deer or a dog, and a daisy powerline 1000 .177 would probably just tick off a cougar or bobcat if it did decide to attack me and i'd have to barenuckle fight it and hopefully snap its neck. First i shrugged it off and went up my trail about a quarter mile, and the creature started making the noises again (much closer than before), it was definitely making its way toward me and it sounded big. I promptly left (with the safety off??lol) because i did not know what it was, there have been cougar sightings in the county, and i've seen large bobcats in the same area. Anyways All i had was one squirrel, i skinned, gutted etc.. and am letting it soak in salt water for another few hours. Should I freeze the squirrel meat before or after i soak it in saltwater? I'm going to wait till i haveat least 5-6before i fry them up.This spot is on the edge ofthe city limits so I can not use my 20 guage, I do have a .40 cal smith and wesson that I might keep on my side next time i go out because if it is a puma I do intend to kill it on site (this is a suburban area with lots of children and pets only a 15 minute walk from my camp/hunting spot, not to mention a middle school). Whatever it was it was obviously not very afraid of me. I know what a deer grunt sounds like when they get ticked or scaredand this was totally different i don't know how to describe- a screaming snarling roar. I yelled at it and threw in some 4 letter words just to let it know it was pissing me off.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:58 AM

Default RE: freezing squirrelz

When did animals begin to understand four letter human words?
Old 12-18-2007, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, first post and he is swinging for the fence
Old 12-21-2007, 08:11 PM

yuppers i would carry that .40 cal!
Old 12-23-2007, 06:19 AM
Typical Buck

Sprraay,

I freeze my squirrels in ziploc type bags. Can usually get about 5 or 6 in the bag. I then fill the bag with water, then I sit the bag in a pan and place it in the freezer, the reason I sit the bag in a pan till it freezes is because the leg bones will sometimes punch a hole in the bag causing it to leak all over the freezer.

I don't soak them in anything but plain water, no salt.

Here's a little something you can do prior to cooking (if frying). Take unseasoned meat tenderizer and coat the squirrels heavily, sit in refrigerator (not in water) for at least 24 hours, wash just prior to frying. Now, it dosen't matter sometimes how long you try to tenderize them, some want ever get tender, just to old.

dog1