Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 what have you had more sucess with;howler or rabbit/any type of distress call >

what have you had more sucess with;howler or rabbit/any type of distress call

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

what have you had more sucess with;howler or rabbit/any type of distress call

Old 12-12-2007, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default what have you had more sucess with;howler or rabbit/any type of distress call

What have you had more success with calling in coyotes, howlers or rabbit/ any type of distress calls?
Thanks
Mike
Old 12-12-2007, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what have you had more sucess with;howler or rabbit/any type of distress call

rabbit distress is by far the most successful sound to this day. Howling to call coyotes has only just begun to be used by the masses in the last 4, maybe 5 years, and there's still much to learn about coyote vocals. Howling USED to be used as a simply locating sound, but withso many new predator hunters coming onto the scene, howling to call coyotes is becoming more popular by the day.
Old 12-16-2007, 06:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: what have you had more sucess with;howler or rabbit/any type of distress call

I don't know about 'yotes, but those red & gray foxes sure "love" a rabbit in distress call!
Old 12-16-2007, 06:46 PM

Distress calls work the best imo. I always start out a stand with a distress call. Im not saying howlers are bad in any way, there are some stands where if i did not howl I would not have gotten a shot. If you live in the eastern part of the US, coyotes are less vocal.
Old 12-16-2007, 08:25 PM

I prefer the distress call also. They are effective and easy to operate. The one person who i have gone with that knows how tohowl well tears it up on yotes butI have yet to master the howler.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:44 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: coolbrze0

I don't know about 'yotes, but those red & gray foxes sure "love" a rabbit in distress call!

The yotes do 2.