Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Rabbit questions

Old 12-11-2007, 04:22 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rabbit questions

a .410 is a good gun for rabbits and squirrels but the shell price has gone up. its pretty bad when a box of 25 cost $8-10. but lately ive been using my .22 pistol its more of a challenge. when a rabbit comes out of a brush pile and you got the 12 or 20 gauge its no fun anymore especially with dogs because its almost impossible to miss. im really enjoying using the .22 more. i got a ruger 10/22 with 3-9 scope on and a .22 pistol that i use for squirrels, rabbits, coon, fox and coyote and yes i have killed a coyote with the .22 just use copper or brass plated hollow point and they drop like rocks even at 100 yards.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

As you can see, everyone has an opinion and they're all different. Shoot what you have and don't worry about it. You can buy 12 gauge shells with only 1 oz of shot or you can get 20 gauge shells with 1 1/4 oz of shot. There's a lot of overlapping of capabilities between the different size gauges so just find a load that works for you and use it.

Now, for my opinion. Most squirrels and rabbits are shot at close range so just about anything will work. I use larger shot just because there are fewer pellets to pick out of the meat. I've even used number 4 buckshot on rabbits, it may sound like overkill but the pellets are .24 caliber and usually only one or two pellets actually hit it, no worse onhim than using a .22. I've also reloaded shells with a felt wad above the pellets in order to help spread the shot faster.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer a light 20 gauge also
Old 12-12-2007, 11:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

I never use a rifle for rabbits because in my area, quail, woodcocks, doves, and sometimes pheasants are in the mix. Shotgun kind of depends on the conditions. With some good beagles that are gonna circle it back to you, a 410 or 20 gauge will do. I often use a 12 gauge though which expands your effective range when drive huntingwith other people instead of using dogs. Being careful to pick your short range shots and/or leading the rabbits well,will help cut down somewhat on pellets in the meat.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

I never use a rifle for rabbits because in my area, quail, woodcocks, doves, and sometimes pheasants are in the mix. Shotgun kind of depends on the conditions. With some good beagles that are gonna circle it back to you, a 410 or 20 gauge will do. I often use a 12 gauge though which expands your effective range when drive huntingwith other people instead of using dogs. Being careful to pick your short range shots and/or leading the rabbits well,will help cut down somewhat on pellets in the meat.
When I live in the northeast I had the same situation. I used to reload only 7/8 oz of shot in a 12 gauge and use it for my first shot followed by two regular loads with 1 1/8 oz.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

410,28gauge or 22lr rifle or pistol are all fine,I used to use a 20gauge but thought it was over kill,now its just the 22 but sometimes I use the cci shot in the 22 pistolif Iam climbing around brush piles....
Old 12-17-2007, 10:59 PM
Fork Horn

I dont know about most of you but i have two dogs that smoke the rabbits. Their usually carrying the mail. I use a 12g. Remember the more bb's the better the chance you got to kill them.I have never had a problem.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

12 guage!