Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyotes, what to do with them?

Old 12-04-2007, 03:45 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Coyotes, what to do with them?

crittergiter, when i first looked at the pic i thought for a second you had your scope attached to your gun with none other than camo duck tape, but its just a camo wrap right? how much affect do you guys think taking out a few coyotes has on the deer population? my thoughts were always if you only took out a couple, the ones that were left would have a surplus of food and over-reproduce, having larger and larger litters until they filled the gap made by the hunting, and if you were lucky to get all of them from an area, which would be very difficult to do in the first place, wouldnt they only be replaced by packs and loners from surrounding areas? especially if your area gets to a point where theresa high deer population and low predator population? also, eliminating the yotes from an area might open the floodgates to something even worse, wolves. just a thought, what are your guys opinions? i dont mean to hijack the post, if you want i can start a new one, just tryin to get some feedback.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:40 AM

ORIGINAL: Hunter App

Crittergiter, Would that blown up shoulder be a surface splash or a exit wound? I am guessing the surface splash.
What bullet/load combo do you prefer for keeping fur?

Hunter app
Actually it's the exit wound. The dog was quartering too me and I hit it dead center in the chest.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:47 AM

Schobs, It is a wrap, the stock on that gun is a pretty blond so I cover it when hunting coyotes.

And I wouldn't spend to much thought on killing all the coyotes, It will simply never happen, they are a prolific species, kind of like prairie dogs in the region. you can kill them by the 100's and not even dent the population. Besides in this area the coyote population has decimated the fox population and established a pretty strong foothold as the dominant predator. Besides me of course.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

how much affect do you guys think taking out a few coyotes has on the deer population? my thoughts were always if you only took out a couple, the ones that were left would have a surplus of food and over-reproduce, having larger and larger litters until they filled the gap made by the hunting, and if you were lucky to get all of them from an area, which would be very difficult to do in the first place, wouldnt they only be replaced by packs and loners from surrounding areas? especially if your area gets to a point where theresa high deer population and low predator population? also, eliminating the yotes from an area might open the floodgates to something even worse, wolves. just a thought, what are your guys opinions? i dont mean to hijack the post, if you want i can start a new one, just tryin to get some feedback
You're annology is some what accurate in that coyotes will have larger liters if there is a food base to support them. And yes, if you remove a few coyotes, others in surroundings areas will probably fill the gap that you created. BUT if you don't remove any, then they still will continue to breed and populate, only eventually they will run out of food available, in otherwords, once their food source runs out, then they will move on. SO, by killing a few, you're really only helping keep mother nature in balance. Also,coyotes feed on more than just deer. They'll eat about anything from grains such as corn,fruit such as watermelon,insects, reptiles, grass, small rodents, etc. SO, it's not just deer that they feed on.
And maybe I missed your original question as to the effect that coyotes have on deer populations. It will greatly depend a lot on how many other food sources are availble to the coyote. During fawning season, you can bet that a coyote will eat a fawn if givin the chance. And during deep snow periods, once that snow gets crusty, a deer is very vulnerable to coyotes. BUT it comes down to how many other food sources are available to coyote.
If wolves want to move into an area, coyotes aren't going to stop them.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:46 AM
Fork Horn

Here in Ohio, our State Biologist told me that 73% of their diet was "Voles" similar to moles and mice and second was rabbits then House cats. Now I don't put alot of stock in what he says. This is also the same guy who said we don't have any 50lb coyotes. My Dad proved that to be wrong back in 1996 when there were fewer than they are now.