Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

small game hunting and scent control

Old 11-29-2007, 09:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default small game hunting and scent control

OK i plan to start squirrel hunting and rabbit hunting next week when i get my new Mossberg 500

i do everything i can for scent control when deer hunting

do you guys follow the same rules use scent control soap wash your clothes use scent control spray so on

also what is a good call for both rabbit and squirrel to start out with

also do you walk through the woods looking for them or just sit down like you do hunting deer
Old 11-29-2007, 11:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: small game hunting and scent control

no scent control for me...

for squirrels i will either sneak around slowly and shoot them, or sit down where they are feeding in the oak or other nut trees..

rabbits, find the thick nasty cover, brushpiles, etc and try flushing them and shoot them on the run..

never used calls for either..though i know they make squirrel calls that are supposed to work well, just never needed it...
Old 11-29-2007, 04:31 PM

I don't worry about the scent too much, it's the movement and the noise that will give you away. I walk VERY slowly through the woods, looking for squirrels. I only shoot rabbits if I kick one up. Also, If a squirrel see's you, he will freeze up. If this happens, remember where you are or mark it on your GPS and come back later. Trust me when I say that squirrels will have more patience than you do, I only wait for them if its a small tree or if I brought my binoculars with me. Don't spend too much time on one squirrel. And if it's hot, squirrels tend to mainly move right at daylight and right at dusk.

BTW, I'm not just rambling, I'm an extremely avid squirrel hunter. I have a freezer full of quartered squirrels to prove my success.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

i am sue your not just rambling i read nothing you said that wouldmake anone think you are
ORIGINAL: willhammett

I don't worry about the scent too much, it's the movement and the noise that will give you away. I walk VERY slowly through the woods, looking for squirrels. I only shoot rabbits if I kick one up. Also, If a squirrel see's you, he will freeze up. If this happens, remember where you are or mark it on your GPS and come back later. Trust me when I say that squirrels will have more patience than you do, I only wait for them if its a small tree or if I brought my binoculars with me. Don't spend too much time on one squirrel. And if it's hot, squirrels tend to mainly move right at daylight and right at dusk.

BTW, I'm not just rambling, I'm an extremely avid squirrel hunter. I have a freezer full of quartered squirrels to prove my success.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:20 PM

Good luck. I was supposed to be going tomorrow, but I've gotta work Saturday and Sunday morning.