HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Coyote Hide Prices (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/215951-coyote-hide-prices.html)

stevencm 11-04-2007 10:07 PM

Coyote Hide Prices

I live in Northern Indiana and am getting fed up with the coyotes screwing up my deer hunting. I have seen about a dozen within a half mle of where I usually hunt. I need to start killing them. I was wondering how much the hides are worth so I can decide if I want to keep them or just give them away. Thanks.

#40Fan 11-05-2007 06:45 PM

RE: Coyote Hide Prices

Are they ever worth the time that it takes to haul them back to a truck and skin them??

game4lunch 11-05-2007 07:14 PM

IF I HAD A GIRLFRIEND LIKE THAT, I WOULDN'T PUT HER ALL OVER THE NET! (lol)

Seriously . . . my son and nephew get about $80.00 a hide (washed, cleaned, debugged and stretched) from some outfit in Canada. The fur is still used for coat collers and such.

Pioneer2 11-05-2007 08:16 PM

The price list I have has coyotes $25-$45,and they're picky about what sells.There is a surplus on the market,some in storage for 2-3 years.This is in Alberta Canada.The silver females are in demand but the dogs with the black guard hairs are hardly worth fighting off the fleas while skinning them..........I have 4 hides in the freezer till the prices come up.....Harold

melsheeba 11-05-2007 09:41 PM

What has to be done to hides once they get skinned off the animal to selling?

Pioneer2 11-06-2007 06:54 AM

Not sure what you mean but I'll try and answer your question as best I can. Coyotes are skinned [cased]with an incision heal to anus both back legs,then up the underside of the tail full length to remave the bone.The paws are cut around at the wrist[except for taxidery specimans]and the hide is peel towards the head like a sock over the shoulders and front legs to the head.The ears are left on and carefully skin around the eye holes and finally cut off nose cartlidge leaving it on hide as well.Then the hide is stretched on a wooden board that looks like an ironing board and nailed in place to dry. The excess flesh and fat is removed then in about 2-3 days the hide is removed and turned fur side out and nailed back on the stretcher.Any blood can then be washed off with a garden hose etc.......I then take a blowdryer and a wire welding brush and clean burrs and dirt from the fur while drying it.It's a lot of work for the money.After dry they can be tossed in the freezer or hung on nail in the shed until shipped for sale...............bullet holes are sewn up before placing on stretcher while hide is still green................hope this helps......Harold

FOP23 11-08-2007 12:03 PM

Pioneer is right on the money. Closer to $25.00 in PA