Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Help - Coyote Trapping Set Up

Old 10-15-2007, 12:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Help - Coyote Trapping Set Up

We're getting to the point on our property where there are way too many coyotes. I'd like to start trapping a few. My dad got some traps a few years ago but never got around to using them. What kind of bait/lure. Where to set up? I imagine they like logging roads at night, right? Do you need to set the trap with the wind in mind for better results?

thanks.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Help - Coyote Trapping Set Up

dirthole sets are said to work great. I could explain it but it'd probably be easiest for you to search "dirthole set" and get the images to explain in more detail. Id use nothing smaller than a #2 coilspring and a good bait would be almost any tainted meat. If your a deer hunter and have some venison in the freezer from last year, or know someone who does let it set outside for a couple days while its still warm, then freeze it again and use chunks in your dirthole set durring trapping season. This'll probably work on fox as well, but you'll get the occasional opossum too.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I prefer snares along the fence lines if legal. They are easy to use, and very, very effective.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks. I read up a little on the dirt-hole set. That seems to be the way to go. I'm sureI can find some kind of old meat in my freezer .

No fencelines on the property. It's 10s of thousands of acres of big woods. There are a lot of logging roads, some small grass clearings, three hay fields, hemlock swamps and clearcuts. I was thinking on the edge of one of the clearings or along a logging road.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:50 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Do yourself a favor, buy the 3rd, 4th and 5th books on this web page. They are excellent books. He goes through everything you need to know, location, the tools you need, how to bed the trap, etc. If you don't want to spring for all three get one or the other of the dirt hole or flat set. I prefer flat sets to dirt holes. Much easier to make, especially in frozen ground, much much more versatile and they don't figure them out as quick. I promise this will be the best $36 you will spend if you want to trap canines.

http://www.trapperman.com/books.html

Old 11-04-2007, 07:51 AM
Spike

I found that a water set is the best place if you can find where they are crossing a creek or stream. If you put the trap in the water, the coyote's don't seem to be able to smell or sense the steel trap like they do on land. If you can place some small branches around the trap so they have to funnel and step over and into the trap, it will increase your chances for them to step where you want them too. Good luck