Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Rabbit shells

Old 09-26-2007, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rabbit shells

What's your alls fav. rabbit shells? I use 4s or 6s depending on where I am. I usually shoot Winchester Super-Xs or Supremes, but always dream they'll come out w/ AA 4 or 6 though, it would be well worth the extra $$$.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:23 PM

Default RE: Rabbit shells

I love to hunt rabbits and my overall favorite shell is a Remington 7 1/2
Old 09-27-2007, 08:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

I like to use #6 low brass since we also get into quail from time to time.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:41 AM
Typical Buck

#6 for hares, #8 for cottontails - both in 12 gauge.
Old 09-27-2007, 09:00 AM

i like to use winchester super X #6's
Old 09-27-2007, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to use #5 and #6 eclusively for rabbits but after an outing where I only had some low brass #8 shot i was hooked I only use #8 shot now. the larger pellets would penetrate flesh and eating rabbit became a chore having to keep an eye out for pellets. The #8's still kill the rabbits just as dead as the other shot but the majority of the pellets stay within the skin and rarely penetrate the muscle tissue so when ya skin the rabbit most of the shot is discarded with the hide. rabbits have a very delicate central nervous system and rarely do you need to penetrate the vitals to make a clean kill. essentially just the shock from being shot kills the rabbits thats why #8's work fine.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:05 PM
Fork Horn

i use 6 shot Remington SHur Shot. ITs the best shell for the money.I wont ever get anything else. 8 shot wont penetrate brush very good. If you are hunter rabbits its usually thick. 5 shots-not neccessary a 6 shot bullet does the same effect and you get more bb's. I kill lots of bunny's and i am good at it. I have all my buddys convinced about sure shot.....They say i never miss and they do alot. I use to razzle them and say you gotta have the shur shot. they switch the end of last season.Will see if it makes a difference...I think i am just a better shot..Will see though. I got over 60 rabbits by myself by the time both by dogs where7 month old. Their great dogs. GOt rabbits offf the one when she was less than 3 months old. They smoke the rabbits know....If you ever need a good pup let me know.I am thinking about getting another litter.I wont rip you off. Very cheap to good hunting homes
Old 10-05-2007, 09:03 PM

what ever i have in my gun that will blow them up

but i shoot the most with my bow