Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

rabbit

Old 08-28-2007, 10:01 AM

Default RE: rabbit

I hardly ever catch Rabbits in my Simple Snares I set up. Im just not lucky with traps. Im better off killing them with my bow. Thats why broadman should grab a hunting weapon and go get the Rabbit instead becasuea week old trap is obviously not going to be set in the future most likely. And although the Rabbit meat and hide would be worth it, I suggest you use a Air Rifle or that light bow you have Brod Man, ifit is affective with that light of a draw weight (12#). Or make a crude spear and slowly move your way in and try to spear the Rabbit, or make a Rabbit Stick. I don't know just use your imagination dude.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

WolfWithBow...

Just a question... do not be offended.

Are you Native American by chance?
Old 08-28-2007, 01:27 PM
Typical Buck

[/quote]
And why are you killing things like rabbits and not using them?

Peta loves people like you.
[/quote]

what are you talking about? the only thing i kill and dont use are frogs cause i dont wabt salmanilla, and i dont know how to cook them.

Old 08-28-2007, 01:47 PM

Chris H- Im only 3% Cherokee Indian. Why do you want to know if im Native American?
Old 08-28-2007, 02:02 PM
Typical Buck

cause you do all kinds of stuff the natives did which is freakin awesome. i never see animals like you do all i ever see are deer, and birds, and frogs.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:32 PM

I do stuff that is Native American becasue I think it is proper in a way. It's a hard challenge that gets me sick, hurt, anddissapointed. Hunting the way I do and building shelters and making fire with a bow drill and a chunk of flint like I do in the Forest is Primitive and I like to learn about our past and how they survived by doing it myself. I live in a nice home, but everyday for the whole day im out in the woods, having (wanting)to pick berries and hunt and buildmost of my own toolsand make fire with flint or a bow and drill set. My mom sometimes doesn't like it becasue im gone all day, and people call me a freak and stuff at school, but I don't care. Inside I know im tougher than most of those poeple mentally becasue im up for the challenge. Thats all I have to say.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

im beggining to think that that rabbit has smelled me, and has moved so im gonna make a stand or blind there take away my snare, and wait all day, or afternoon.
Old 08-28-2007, 08:13 PM

Brod Man- It might work if you use a blindbut mask your smell with Skunk Cabbage by splittting the stem all the way down with a knife, and then rubbing the smelly liquid and juice all over your clothes and skin. I do this when hunting and it is affective and works if done correctly. Skunk Cabbage grows near Northern Swamps and Bogs, and is tricky to get to if the ground is thick with mud that comes to your ankles. But there should be a patch near and Swamp or Bog depending on were you live. Also, what I do is take off my shirt and shoes and socks, and cover most of mylegs, arms ,chest ,feet, and hands with handfuls of mud. I have only done this once and is not pleasent but it got me within 8 feet of a Rabbit in the fields. Of course when I got home my mother grounded me for being filthy. Use urine of old kills and smear it onto your skin, it's ok to miss certain areas of your skin becasue the urine would be overpowering in terms of smell than your naturalbody odors released into the air by sweat and movement ( I have never used urine). Bring along a buddy or twoto "herd" the Rabbit for you. What I mean is let them scare it into a direction which is a dead end, and when it is cornered it will freeze in defense, thats when your friend should move to the right of the dead end, and the other friendon the left of the dead end so it can't escape. Thats when you take your shot. Hopefully, you might get it. I use that herding trick with my friends and I took my first Rabbit with my slingshot. Good Luck
Old 08-29-2007, 04:50 AM
Typical Buck

im gonna setup a hamoeade blind, and lay prone till i see mr. bunny-wunny then pop. no more mister bunny-wunny. oh well, its his felt he crossed my path. i dont know what im gonna do for scent control. maybe my dad has some, illcheck.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was also wondering because you said "white man." And if you're white, thats kind of contradicting.

I have no problem about Native American ways. I don't practice what the Native Americans do. But, I'm out in the woods watching the wildlife, enjoying nature, practicing my survival skills, and hunting/fishing (when its legal; unless I'm in a survival situation) every day. I have 8 of the best friends I could ever ask for, and most of the time I do these things with them.Andno one I know thinks that doing thatis freakish. Why would they? Maybe the people at your school are just asses. BTW, I got lost for about 30 hours at my families property in Virginia. It was an awesome way to test my survival skills. I failed to make fire that night, and the mosquitos were killing me. But, I did manage to find asmall brook... I got water, and I tied my knife onto a long stick and killed a rabbit. I didn't actually stab it; I stunned it with the stick and THEN finished it off. [8D]

The last time, I intentionally got myself lost on my property. That time, I did manage to make fire, and I found alot of wild grapes and I caught a small trout. I wipped out some "man vs. wild" and blockaded the trout on both ends. and I chased it around until I finally just bashed it with a stick.