Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

rabbit

Old 08-14-2007, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

Default rabbit

i know where a rabbit lives but everytime i go down there hes gone. should i go early morning late evening when?
Old 08-14-2007, 11:37 AM

Default RE: rabbit

Go in the afternoon when the sun is setting 5:00-7:00 p.m, thats when I hunt rabbits all the time, they only come out in cooler conditions, so even morning would be fine, as long as you wake up around 5:00 A.M. I would choose in the afternoon so you dont have to wake up early.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:05 PM

would a pellet gun be sufficient?
Old 08-14-2007, 04:15 PM

Geterdun2- If your asking if a Pellet Gun can kill a Rabbit, it most certainly can. Get within 20-30 feet of the Rabbit, and a well placed shot can eithier stun it and cause it to bleed and diasable its escape, or instantly kill it. I use a 30# Youth Bow to kill Rabbits and Squirrels, so im not used to shooting and hunting with a Pellet gun, but I know if I use soft tiped bullet points and I kill and stun the Rabbits, a pellet gun can easily do the same with more penetration then a rounded tiped field point. But with a razor sharp broad head attached to my arrows fired by mybow, thats a different story in terms of "which weapon has more power". I think we all know the answer to that question.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:08 PM

Actually, at 120 fps and assuming a 350 grain arrow with bh, your bow has about 12.5 fpe and a crosman quest w/ 14-grain pellets gets almost 21 fpe.Your bow is more lethal, but the pellets have more raw power.

Just wanted to clear that up to prevent any messy flame wars.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:55 PM

Whats bh and FPE? Yeah your right but I don't really care about that, I was messing around, as long as my bow kills im ok. Which it does. My friend Adam owns an Air Rifle, im not shure what type but I know it pumps 10 times and shoots at 700 FPS. He shot at 25 feet with his rifle into a centimeter thick inch wood, and the pellet only penetrated through it 2 out of 20 times he shot. When it was my turn I grabbed my bow with Aluminum arrows (this was 2 weeks ago) with field points and each time out of 20 shots my arrows penetrated through and sometimes passed 4 or 5 inches through. My bow maybe slow, but it packs a punch, more than my friends Air Rifle. Now I don't know what type of pellet gun this guy owns so I can't really say anything. Yeah the power and shock of a Pellet gun is devastating, but the penetrating round is just to small and light compared to an arrow at close range. I would rather get shot with a Pellet gun than a bow, obviously becasue the bow would kill you (depending on the area the arrow penetrates like the heart or lungs). Im not being a Troll or trying to start anything, but just trying to prove my point. The Pellet gun owns in speed, but for me, the bow is more powerful and lethal (like you said). It's like an RPG, slow but deadly. Anyway today hurt. I didn't use finger tabs (whatever there called) when shooting my bow today. I wanted to practice for hunting.
Old 08-14-2007, 06:43 PM

BH stands for Broadhead
Old 08-14-2007, 07:56 PM

Oh. Then what does FPE stand for?
Old 08-15-2007, 07:49 AM

Foot-pound energy, standard measure for projectile weapons.

Basic equation:
velocity(in fps)*velocity(in fps) / 64.32 * weight(in pounds)= fpe
^
twice constant
for gravity

For reference: 1 lb.= 6300 grains.
Old 08-15-2007, 01:48 PM

So with the FPE, is my bow's energy weak, meduim, or extreme?.

Quick Reply: rabbit

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.