HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Killing a Squirrel : BB or Pellet Gun? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/201831-killing-squirrel-bb-pellet-gun.html)

JerichoApo 08-12-2007 03:50 AM

Killing a Squirrel : BB or Pellet Gun?

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

kdvollmer 08-12-2007 04:03 AM

RE: Killing a Squirrel : BB or Pellet Gun?

My personal favorite is a howitzer, followed by naval gunfire........

I have killed many of squirrels with both, very effectively, though Pellets are most likely goingto work better since there are many out there specifically for hunting. Hollow points and such.

DrchaosMD 08-12-2007 05:42 AM

ORIGINAL: kdvollmer

My personal favorite is a howitzer, followed by naval gunfire........

I have killed many of squirrels with both, very effectively, though Pellets are most likely goingto work better since there are many out there specifically for hunting. Hollow points and such.

Lol

well by personal experience, the pellet gun would be more accurate, the bb gun will still be accurate but at shorter ranges unless lead bb's (if they exist) are used, this basicly comes down to the rifling on the gun where lead pellets and bb's will becom rifled, steel bb's will not be effected by the rifling on the gun due to their size.

choice is yours man, may i ask if it will be a sping-piston, pump up, or pcp pellet/bb gun?

BrutalAttack 08-12-2007 08:11 AM

I've had some heroic squirrelsgo pretty farafter being shot point blank in the chest with a BB gun. Nothing like having your neighbors watch as a mortally wounded squirrel half runs half crawls across the street bleeding everywhere.

I never thought I'd have to consider something "not enough gun" for a squirrel but I'd go with pellets.

.22 short is what I use now.

Chris_H 08-12-2007 08:48 AM

I prefer my 12 gauge number 8's or .22 LR. My .270 also works... ;)

WolfWithBow 08-12-2007 10:09 AM

A BB gun is more effective against Squirrels. I use to shoot my pellet gun at Squirrels all the time and it just bounced right off them. A BB gun is more powerful, use that.

BowHunter46 08-12-2007 10:27 AM

ORIGINAL: WolfWithBow

A BB gun is more effective against Squirrels. I use to shoot my pellet gun at Squirrels all the time and it just bounced right off them. A BB gun is more powerful, use that.
It depends on what model of pellet/BB gun you're comparing . I have seen BB guns could easily kill a squirrel,but they're not very effective at long ranges and not very accurate. What is themodel of the pellet gun you own?

For squirrel hunting, I would have tochoose my powerline pellet gun. Fast and accurate.

WolfWithBow 08-12-2007 12:07 PM

Oh. Mine was some cheap M-16 model pellet gun. Not that strong. i never owned a powerful pellet gun, and I don't really hunt with my rifle pellet gun, i bowhunt.

Predator26 08-12-2007 01:12 PM

ORIGINAL: WolfWithBow

What the hell are you talking about?

A pellet beats a BB in every category; accuracy, power, penetration, you name it.

WolfWithBow 08-12-2007 04:29 PM

Im sorry, I thought you guys were talking about a damn plastic pellet.

DrchaosMD 08-13-2007 12:12 AM

GAMO 4TW!!

now that u have done your research, have a deeper look into pellet guns, what kind do you want ? Pre-Charged pneumatic? pump up or spring piston?

we cant just tell you what you want, its your choice, plus i have no idea what guns are available to you.

AirArms
GamoUSA
AirForce

are all great well known brands and would more than surfice your needs to my knowledge.

http://www.pyramydair.com/cgi-bin/model.pl?model_id=379

is a personal favourite of mine, but everyone has thier own opinion.

iamdeathtodeer 08-13-2007 09:56 AM

Remington Airmaster 77. Cheap and effective.

kevin1 08-13-2007 12:00 PM

My springer with a 4 grain lead pellet will get a pass through on a steel can at 25-30 yards, I don't know of many bb guns that can do that.

iamdeathtodeer 08-13-2007 12:04 PM

4 grains!??! Never use something that light to hunt with!!!!Plenty of bb guns. Wait, steel bucket or oil drum, or like a soup can? And it's a pellet gun if it shoots pellets.
BTW, mini-coaxial homemade guns can get 1000 fps out of a plastic pellet, at short range that will kill a squirrel.

Oldtimr 01-09-2024 10:58 AM

If you look at the date of the op and the responses you will see this threat is 17 years old.