HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Home Made Airgun for small game, birds and fishing (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/201516-home-made-airgun-small-game-birds-fishing.html)

DrchaosMD 08-10-2007 06:42 AM

Home Made Airgun for small game, birds and fishing

Hi all, im new here as ya can see,

just to let yas know a bit more baout me i own a compound bow but have recently gone into airgun hunting/small game

So yer, I use an airgun for hunting, with a twist... i made the gun.

i use it for small game i.e: rabbits, foxes and even fish and birds.

i fire 5/8" lead balls at around 500-600fps at around 300psi.

heres a few pics of it, and a few carp i shot with it.

feel free to leave a comment, and im also happy to answer any questions you may have

* im also happy to post more pics/give more specifications on the gun itself.

peace

Edit: Updated post, embedded pictures

Brod_Man 08-10-2007 07:37 AM

RE: Home Made Airgun for small game, birds and fishing

thats insanely awesome. hey i'll pm you my email and you can give me the plans for that thats insane.

WolfWithBow 08-10-2007 07:51 AM

Man, thats kick A$$ dude. Thats homemade? It looks awsome. The only things ive ever made homemade were bows and arrows, not amazing airguns.

psandhu 08-10-2007 09:46 AM

you're a genius! that's awesome!!!

iamdeathtodeer 08-10-2007 10:45 AM

Chaos, you're here!!!! It' windshrike from theopia!!!
Yeah not really gonna say anything bout the gun already told you it was awesome forever ago. Never thought about posting my homemade airguns here, now I have to see if the digital camera can be found.

EDIT: brod_man, never ask ANYONE for plans when it comes to something like this(homemade air guns, potato guns, etc.). If you can't figure it out for yourself, you shouldn't be building it. It's just a piston-valve in a T-fitting actuated by a high pressure blowgun. Try www.spudfiles.com for information.

iamdeathtodeer 08-10-2007 10:57 AM

ORIGINAL: iamdeathtodeer

Chaos, you're here!!!! It' windshrike from theopia!!!
Yeah not really gonna say anything bout the gun already told you it was awesome forever ago. Never thought about posting my homemade airguns here, now I have to see if the digital camera can be found.

EDIT: brod_man, never ask ANYONE for plans when it comes to something like this(homemade air guns, potato guns, etc.). If you can't figure it out for yourself, you shouldn't be building it. It's just a piston-valve in a T-fitting actuated by a high pressure blowgun. Try www.spudfiles.com for information.
EDIT: EDIT: OOOh I got steel hunting pellets for my slingshot that should make great buckshot. Course theyre expensive I'll try making a vid of mine shooting something probably with a dart or shotgun blast of fishing weights.

OK found the camera now I need batteries...............

Narient 08-10-2007 01:28 PM

EDIT: brod_man, never ask ANYONE for plans when it comes to something like this(homemade air guns, potato guns, etc.). If you can't figure it out for yourself, you shouldn't be building it.
Well, that's ONE man's opinion...:eek:

iamdeathtodeer 08-10-2007 01:40 PM

You've never seen people on www.spudfiles.comexplode when noobs ask for plans. Just go figure it out,check the spud wiki, the wiki button on spudfiles is at the top right. And also don't copy someones design, have some originality.20+ psi is no joke, let alone 100-400 psi, the standard operating pressure of most homemade guns. At 100 psi with dart ammunitionmy sprinklervalve gun shoots THROUGH 6" solid rocksheet(my wall). And rocksheet is tougher than plywood. Thats atabout 500 fps(chronoed).

DrchaosMD 08-12-2007 04:35 AM

sup "iamdeathtodeer" lol yer i saw ya post on theopia and thought i'd enjoy this site, wtf a sprinkler at 700fps @100psi [:-] i spose tho ur the one with tha chrony, ill buy one soon, but as is ill stick with the GGDT calc.

yer well just some more stats on the gun

copypasta form spudfiles (to lazy to write it out agian)

Category: Pneumatic

Stats:

- Material: 316 grade stainless steel.
- Valve: Custom Barrel Sealing piston
- Operating Pressure: 40psi-400psi.
- Pressure source: Modified high pressuse floor pump
- Loading: Revolving Breech.
- Barrel I-D: 16mm
- Barrel Length: 1000mm
- Chamber I-D: 34mm
- Chamber volume: 389cm3
- Piston Housing I-D: 24.400mm (1")
- Pilot Valve: SMC High Flow Blowgun ($150AU a piece i got it for free)

Aesthetics:

- 100mm Muzzle Brake
- Walther 30mm Top point Red Green dot scope / custom rail.
- 470mm X 50mm silencer

Ammo:

- 16mm marbles 4.5g
GGDT Calculated Velocity @ 200psi: 238m/s (783fps)

- 5/8 lead fishing sinkers 21g
GGDT Calculated Velocity @200psi: 162m/s (532fps)

so yer thers a bit for ya's to geezer over, enjoy.

so no1, except for iamdeathtodeer has made anything remotly like this?

iamdeathtodeer 08-12-2007 04:33 PM

Guess not, I think that the 9:1 C:B ratio has something to do with my gun's power.

DrchaosMD 08-14-2007 12:54 AM

shi.. 9:1 how fun, wat do ya use for a pressure source?... lol. im gettin CO2 soon.

well ive been thing bout making a new gun and perhaps a rifled barrel from a air rifle, or a tightbore barrel smaller calibre perhaps 10mm or 8mm.

OP removed the pics due to certain "issues" that may occur...

Redneck Bowhunter 08-14-2007 01:40 AM

Umm, I thought Roo's were illegal to kill???:eek::eek:

DrchaosMD 08-14-2007 03:01 AM

ORIGINAL: Redneck Bowhunter

Umm, I thought Roo's were illegal to kill???:eek::eek:

ummm... yes.....

kdvollmer 08-14-2007 03:15 AM

I gotta say, that is a pretty neat air gun you have built there.

As Far as the Roo's.... I though that I read that they were becomming overpopulated and Country wanted to have a large cull of the critters. Am I missing something here????

DrchaosMD 08-14-2007 04:59 AM

ORIGINAL: kdvollmer

I gotta say, that is a pretty neat air gun you have built there.

As Far as the Roo's.... I though that I read that they were becomming overpopulated and Country wanted to have a large cull of the critters. Am I missing something here????

no your pretty much on the money, even though your sposed to have a licence to hunt/kill/cull them, where i live the laws are not so strict, so they are sht often, i actualy almost got one with my bow but i missed.

btw thanks for the apreciation on the gun mate.

Redneck Bowhunter 08-14-2007 05:43 AM

So if you did do this illegaly then why are you posting it on the internet??:eek::eek:

DrchaosMD 08-14-2007 06:13 AM

So if you did do this illegaly then why are you posting it on the internet??:eek::eek:
who says i dont have a licence?

iamdeathtodeer 08-14-2007 06:31 AM

Ohhhhhhh f*ck.............I typed that on my PSP I meant 500 fps for the damn darts......**** now I'm gonna change it. 700 is out of paper towel wadding and airsoft bbs. 450ish for marblesand 400 with lead sinker(but it's about the same weight as the marble b/c it doesn't fit in the barrel and I use wadding to stop blow-by). I use a bike pump. I should start a new thread for my gun, yeah, and put it on spudfiles but I need batteries for the cheap camera. Oh yay I'm in FL and there's a hurricane coming!! I'm happy cause now I can get my Dad to pay for the batteries by calling them 'supplies' and it's a pretty small one just hope it dosnt go Wilma on us and destroy all the huntable land and get WMA's shut down.

Anyway like I said my air source is a bike pump. I have a ball valve that separates 1/9th of thechamber so it only fires that and slowly leaks in from one side for like 6 shots same power(as each other) and like 4 more that are weaker. Not quite semi cause I have to load by hand and it takes almost 15 seconds for it to equalize(the pressure in the tank and in the actual chamber). Strangely enough that mini-chamber that lets me get so many shots off w/ a 1/2:1 C:B ratio(yes you read right ...............unless you didnt) only drops velocity by about 50 fps. But if I'm in my room and want to nail a squirrel I use the whole tank b/c hey, it won't stick around if I miss, right? Try putting a cone on the end of your bolt(glued right to the nock) like ona blowgun dart and as you muzzleload it, twisting the bolt so the vanes all face in one direction(well by direction I meant clockwise or wounter-clockwise) it works like rifling when its shot, just amazing accuracy. You said you used a modified track pump, how did you modify it? Like I said before I want my first post to be one of my new guns(well theyre not built yet hmmmm....) so thats why I'm not going to the great files of spud. And no, it is not my chrono it is my local Bass Pro Shops's.

Nice roo, but you know there are animal rights activists that will use this to purport that hunters are lawless cause even I thought you didnt have a license until you outrightsaid you did....kinda vague for a while Chaos. Have you ever tried fitting mechanical broadheads onto your bolts? I dont have anything bigger than a squirrel to shoot right now so I just use field tips(plusourguns areshooting faster than Stryker Crossbows, broadheads might cut so cleanly that they pass through withouttransferring much energy). Hold on....I'm bout 120 fpe with the darts(200-grain).....**** I need to stop shooting in my room. Assuming a 57-grain marble you're at 86 fpe but a 300-grain bolt puts you at about(assuming 600 fps) 266 fpe...**** that's powerful!!!

DrchaosMD 08-14-2007 06:54 AM

wo wow woow.. slow down man breath in...breath out. lol reading that last bit nearly made my head explode

anyways back on topic, this roo was shot on private property, so no point trying to pin me for that, you americans have no idea (assuming most* of you are american) on our laws n **** over here, so dont go saying shi... bout it, hell i could go shooting with a proper firearm without a licence and not be caught for it.

modified track pump: stronger pump shaft, longer stroke, but as it now has a longer stroke it also has a narrower stroke making it easier to get to those higher pressures.

broadheads: yes i have tried them, they went straight through a hay bail and then my fence and still managed to travel another 50od meters. but as for mechanicle broadheads i am yet to try.

oh n yer you about right on thos energy figuers, there close enough anyways.

iamdeathtodeer 08-14-2007 07:10 AM

You want to break Australian law, I don't f*cking care. Just that AMERICAN animal righters(God bless their souls...b/c we all know that they are going to hell, right?) willhave the same misconceptions. When did where it was shotcome up? Umm, from what I've read on spudfiles(and I may be wrong), don't your SSS and S400 qualify as firearms under Australian law?

Was sort of wondering how you got it to withstand the high pressures.

Oh crap I was gonna use broadheads and all my testng is done in my room. Thank God I didnt.

Why would your head explode?

Redneck Bowhunter 08-14-2007 11:38 PM

even though yoursposed to have a licence to hunt/kill/cull them, where i live the laws are not so strict, so they are sht often, i actualy almost got one with my bow but i missed.

Umm you did.[&:]

DrchaosMD 08-15-2007 12:41 AM

even though yoursposed to have a licence to hunt/kill/cull them, where i live the laws are not so strict, so they are sht often, i actualy almost got one with my bow but i missed.

Umm you did.[&:]
No i diddnt, i mearly stated what happens regulary over her i never said "i myself dont have a game licence to hunt these animals" furthermore i said i can shoot without a firearms licence on private property, plus i diddnt even say that i intend to break australian laws.

Why would your head explode?
I just read it really fast, just a joke...

Was sort of wondering how you got it to withstand the high pressures.

The matirial it is made of withstands the pressures *im not quite sure on what your asking could you be a tad more specific?

When did where it was shotcome up?
im not exactly sure on the question could you please repaeat?

don't your SSS and S400 qualify as firearms under Australian law?
so far we are not entirly sure on what the laws state and are still waiting in reply for more detailed information.

iamdeathtodeer 08-15-2007 07:39 AM

When did where it was shotcome up?
You said "this roo was shot on private property"
No one had yet mentioned where the roo was shot or asked.
Just trying t cover your ass(in the nicest way possible)?

ORIGINAL:iamdeathtodeer

Was sort of wondering how you got it to withstand the high pressures
Like was it already 300 psi rated or was it like 160 and you did summat to stop it from bursting?

Redneck Bowhunter 08-15-2007 11:19 AM

That's fine I was simly interperating what you had written. I thought it was somewhat strange that someone would break the law then post it on the internet.[&:][8D]

Higgy15jh 08-15-2007 09:00 PM

Who cares... the gun is AWSOME!. lol. About how much do you have in it? Im interested in making one. Thanks

Also... where do you get the supplies, can you get them at a local hardware store such as lowes?

DrchaosMD 08-16-2007 03:25 AM

That's fine I was simly interperating what you had written. I thought it was somewhat strange that someone would break the law then post it on the internet.[&:][8D]
lol, Ok kool as, and i have found out Kangaroos ( one of our national emblums ) are classed as verment on private land, so are allowed to be killed even witout a licence. (i did my research)

You said "this roo was shot on private property"
No one had yet mentioned where the roo was shot or asked.
Just trying t cover your ass(in the nicest way possible)?
It doesnt matter, i was allowed to, hell i would have been allowed to run after it throw rocks at it and stab it with a knife if i wanted/could do it. no need to cover my arse mate

Like was it already 300 psi rated or was it like 160 and you did summat to stop it from bursting?
I made this from scratch, bare matirials... when i made it i found the weakest part (the airline connections) maximal operating pressure
and deemed that the guns maximal operating pressure, but soon when i find a way to strengthen these parts i will surly be able to run 400psi+ witout a worry.

Who cares... the gun is AWSOME!. lol. About how much do you have in it? Im interested in making one. Thanks

Also... where do you get the supplies, can you get them at a local hardware store such as lowes?
Again thanx, the parts i used were "scrap" lol stainless steel from my works scrapyard.
i would think it to be possible to make it from parts gained from your local hardware store, perhaps sign up at
http://www.spudfiles.com and look around (dont forget to read forum rules to begin with)

all it comes down to is just a basic concept, i have no doubt you could make somthing similar/ish to what i have made

thnks for all the comments

iamdeathtodeer 08-16-2007 08:14 AM

ORIGINAL: Higgy15jh

In a nutshell, no. The iron and steel pipe that lowes sell is only rated to 150 psig. Now, while burst pressure is far greater than the rated pressure, what if you take it higher and have a defective part that can only handle the 150 advertised?
Find a store(use yellowbook) that sells hydraulic parts. They are much thinner, but much stronger. Plus, with hydraulic fittings you dont even have to weld it b/c the threads are also rated quite high.

Hey chaos, I'm hoping to build an over-under based on the kel-tec su-16, w/ the guns 'gas tube' as the chamber. I can get 9000 psi rated parts, so what do you think about heating pre-compressed 400 psi or so gas to increase pressure? Yeah I'm gonna need high temp o-rings but a propane torch should get pressure to at least 3000, right? Or I'll use co2, that has even greater heat expansion capabilities.

I'm gonna pressure test the whole thing to 10,000 with hydraulic oil first, though.

Higgy15jh 08-16-2007 03:28 PM

well i took a look at that website... it might as well have been in another language. lol. I did like looking at the pictures though.:D

DrchaosMD 08-17-2007 02:54 AM

Hey chaos, I'm hoping to build an over-under based on the kel-tec su-16, w/ the guns 'gas tube' as the chamber. I can get 9000 psi rated parts, so what do you think about heating pre-compressed 400 psi or so gas to increase pressure? Yeah I'm gonna need high temp o-rings but a propane torch should get pressure to at least 3000, right? Or I'll use co2, that has even greater heat expansion capabilities.
not the best of ideas, just make your parts/valse efficient so they work well and this will more than surfice for whatever you plan on doin.

heating gas is a very dangerous proceedure in which i would never do myselfbut if you do be f**king carfull.
800psi is more than enough to break 344m/s mark, but not typicly the sound barrier, heat must be generated to do that.

really these questions should be asked on spudfiles not here i do not hold all the answers and with people like JacksSmirkinRevenge on there your answers would come through.

getting Co2 or HPa soon, also cast a few more lead balls today, should hope for a good hunt next weekend.

I'm gonna pressure test the whole thing to 10,000 with hydraulic oil first, though.

iamdeathtodeer 08-17-2007 08:11 AM

ORIGINAL: DrchaosMD

not the best of ideas, just make your parts/valse efficient so they work well and this will more than surfice for whatever you plan on doin.

heating gas is a very dangerous proceedure in which i would never do myselfbut if you do be f**king carfull.
800psi is more than enough to break 344m/s mark, but not typicly the sound barrier, heat must be generated to do that.

really these questions should be asked on spudfiles not here i do not hold all the answers and with people like JacksSmirkinRevenge on there your answers would come through.

getting Co2 or HPa soon, also cast a few more lead balls today, should hope for a good hunt next weekend.

I know all that just felt like talking about my idea:).
I'm going to build the gun, post on spudfiles, receive praise for a400 psi semiautomatic, and then start posting everyday. Then I'll ask about this.Meh, I'm gonna post rightnow. But please don't bring up this idea on spudfiles yetI dont want to get laughed off as a noob and the only way to prevent that is to have a gun than will take 660+ bar.
I'm going to start an ETC hybrid thread.

DrchaosMD 08-19-2007 08:15 AM

I know all that just felt like talking about my idea:).
I'm going to build the gun, post on spudfiles, receive praise for a400 psi semiautomatic, and then start posting everyday. Then I'll ask about this.Meh, I'm gonna post rightnow. But please don't bring up this idea on spudfiles yetI dont want to get laughed off as a noob and the only way to prevent that is to have a gun than will take 660+ bar.
I'm going to start an ETC hybrid thread.
Oh have fun with that idea...lol

by the way can you weld?

oh and the ETC thread was blown at files, your theory was a bit off (solid propelant ect..)

but this 400psi semi auto, im interested in, what are you using to feed it?
caus if i had a co2 tank and a feed system i would also be semi.

coyote_buster 08-19-2007 12:46 PM

My cousin made a semiauto spud gun and we were bluerock shooting and we nicked a few of em with it.