HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Throw some gas on the fire. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/197029-throw-some-gas-fire.html)

conner_condor 07-09-2007 10:11 AM

Throw some gas on the fire.

I been reading about what is ethical weapon to use on prey..Well a bad
placed shot and the animal will run off. My bone I have is, what is the difference between a ground hog running into it's borrow and dieing from a yote running off and dieing from to small calibers? What is the difference from clubbing a rat and clubbing a baby seal? The seal is cuter than the rat? They are all animals in general.. Should one be treated with more respect in the way it dies than another species because the way it looks?I don't think so. An animal is an animal..People been brain washed by tv on what is good and what is bad.. They show this cute little seal who did nothing with their soft music playing in the back ground.. Then you got this ugly rat who just runs around and eats everything it sees and is a disease carrier..Why should there be a more ethical way of killing an animal because of the way it looks?? I could never figure this one out...It's all right to poison a rat but unethical to poison wolves and yotes to the same people?? To me, an animal is an animal unless it lived with you.. This should be a good discussion.

Lanse couche couche 07-09-2007 11:40 AM

RE: Throw some gas on the fire.

I guess it depends on the circumstances. If you are a farmer with a groundhog or coyote problem then you aren't gonna lose sleep over gut shooting one and having it get away. But, if it is an animal that you want for its meat and/or fur then you have a different perspective.

conner_condor 07-09-2007 12:09 PM

ORIGINAL: Lanse couche couche

I guess it depends on the circumstances. If you are a farmer with a groundhog or coyote problem then you aren't gonna lose sleep over gut shooting one and having it get away. But, if it is an animal that you want for its meat and/or fur then you have a different perspective.
Very true.. I don't see why people call others poor sportsmen or unethical hunters or slander them on their type of weapon they used if it didn't die on the spot..I don't know why people get upset for those who try head shots that are less than perfect with shot placement. I do my best for one shot one kill.. But I am not going to bash or slander someone because they tried a head shot or attempted to kill an animal at 150+yrds with a 22 or 17hmr.On predators I think it is challengeing to do so though..If youwasn't going to eat it or save it's hide what is the big deal about it if it runs off and dies?? Same with crows,To most they are just target practice..No use in them...If you wound a crow,No big deal...

Jim_IV 07-09-2007 01:00 PM

conner_condor 07-09-2007 01:34 PM

ORIGINAL: bigjim12

I was raised by wonder woman and fatherless. And superman has no chance in he!! against wonder womans SOB son.. ;)

Howler 07-09-2007 04:50 PM

I am not mother nature! She can make animals suffer if she so chooses. I am better than that!

conner_condor 07-09-2007 08:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Howler

I am not mother nature! She can make animals suffer if she so chooses. I am better than that!
You hit a squirrel or fox or coonor skunk or possum,porcipine with your car, you see it flopping around in your rear view mirror, Are you going to stop and finish it off or just keep on trucking? Me I am trucking along.. Now how many of these people who hitone of these animalswould do the same as if it was a deer? They are both animals.Why does one deserve not to suffer and another one does to these people???If adeer jumped out in front of my car and I hit it, Damn right it can suffer back there. Look at the damage it did to my truck or car. The SOB can stay there for all I care. Now how many animals have you made suffer that wasn't worth the time to stop and finish it off or even look for it for that matter?

Howler 07-10-2007 07:29 AM

While hunting, I choose a weapon that I KNOW is capable of quick clean kills, as long as I do my part. Hunting has been around long enough to show in history that certain weapon/ammo. combos are very good while others lack in ability to make quick kills consistantly. Of course, there are an unlimited amount of hunting situations, so I have to choose the weapon for the situation that I most likely will find myself in while hunting any certain species, and then do my part in making a quick clean kill. It don't always happen, BUT I know I can't blame the weapon/bullet choice.
As far as hitting animals with a vehicle, that is often out of a persons control and I personnally don't always have a gun with me, BUT seldom does a 2# critter get run over by a 7000# vehicle and have any life left in it. I have hit two deer over the years, and one of them ended up in the freezer because he didn't take a direct hit and had to be shot to be finished, and the other was a doe and she went completely under the vehicle and was hamburger at the sight, stopped and drug her off the road so she wouldn't wreck someone elses vehicle. Althought that's all beside the point, because trying to compare how we as hunters treat animals while hunting to aniamls that are hit by vehicles is quite a stretch and not really comparable because in one situation we have control on how, when, why, where an animal dies, and with a vehicle we don't!
I've often questioned why is it wrong to shoot a pheasant, dove, or the likes while not in flight, yet it's fine to shoot a rabbit while sitting, a turkey while standing, etc.?

Lanse couche couche 07-10-2007 01:18 PM

I've never turkey hunted, but was always taught that all of the other mentioned animals should be shot while flying, or in the case of rabbits, running. I was always told that a sitting rabbit shouldn't be shot, not just because some wouldn't consider it to be sporting, but also because if it can't run, it might have tularemia or one of the other diseases that they sometimes carry.

Dairy King 07-10-2007 01:33 PM

Actually, just the other day I stopped and went back to kill a rabbit that was hurt. It had been hit and it's back legs were useless and it was pulling it self by its front legs. I didn't have a weapon, so I just stepped on its head. If I can go back and finish it, I will, just sometimes it's not safe to do so, like on an interstate or whatever.

To let a deer or anything else suffer just because it hurt your car, thats down right cruelty. It wasn't it's fault it was trying to cross the road to get something to eat. What if I accidentally hit you with my car and your legs and arms are broke, and you can't move. Can I just leave you there to die? Even though it may take a few days all the while your in excruciating pain?