Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

AIRGUNS

Old 07-14-2007, 01:52 PM

Default RE: AIRGUNS

YEA BASS PRO SHOPS DOESNT HAVE THE AIRGUNS FOR DISPLAY. I KNOW THE CABELAS IN PENNSYLVANIA DOES- BUT YOU SAID HOW DOES A NOVICE LEARD TO USE THIS THING. VERY VERY SIMPLE. ILL JUST USE THE GAMO SHADOW SPORT BECAUSE THATS WHAT I HAVE. FIRST YOU BREAK THE BARREL DOWN (SAME AS A BREAK ACTOIN SHOTGUN) AND INSERT THE PELLET POINT FIRST, THEN CLOSE THE BARREL. TAKE YOUR AIRGUN OFF SAFE. AND PUT THE CROSSHAIRS ON YOUR TARGET. OF COURSE BE SURE TO REMOVE THE SCOPE COVER (IVE GOTTEN ALL SET UP AND READY TO PULL THE TRIGGER AND FORGOT THE SCOPE COVER WAS ON!) THATS ALL SIMPLE AND EASY. YOU MENTIONED THE VIPER AIRGUN. IT IS OK FOR CLOSE RANGE- ABOUT 15 YARDS. IVE HEARD GOOD AND BAD REVIEWS FOR THIS AIRGUN. IF YOU LIVE BY A CABELAS THEN I SUGGEST YOU GO THERE AND SEE IF YOU CAN PICK UP THE AIRGUN AND THEN GETT A BETTER FEEL FOR IT. ALSO I FORGOT TO MENTION GAMO AIRGUNS ARENT MADE FOR KIDS! THEY RECCOMEND THIER AIRGUNS FOR AGES 16 AND OVER. HOWEVER IF YOU ARE UNDER 16 A DAISY OR CROSSMAN AIRGUN IS BETTER FOR YOUR AGE. IVE SHOT THEM SINCE I WAS 10 AND NOW THAT I M 16 I USE THE GAMO. I HOPE THIS HELPS OUT MORE IF NOT JUST KEEP COMMIN BACK TO THE FORUM. THANKS
-HILLBILLY DELUXE
Old 08-06-2007, 10:26 AM

Try a Benjiman-Sheridan pump, .177. eight punps for high power and three or four for low power. Biggest I ever killed was cottontails. Heard clames of killing opposams and racoons.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:45 AM

Gamos are OK guns but for true quality, buy a(in order of increasing amt. of workmanship) Beeman, RWS, or a Weihrauch. These guns will consistently put down anything smaller than a coyote, and if you do want to take airgun yotes, buy an Airforce Airguns Talon, Talon SS,or Condor and shoot Beeman Kodiak orextra-heavy Eun Jin pellets. Condor'smuzzle energyis about the same as that of standard .22 lr loads.
Best airgun supplier: pyramydair.com. If you want to take large game google axiomlemak and look for the talon airbolt mod. Or just buy a large-bore gun from pyramyadair.com or look for quackenbush airguns. But for the best guns ever built, Webley Tomahawk or Patriot.
Yes I have done a lot of research on airguns; I desperately wanted a Talon SS before I found that airgun hunting is not legal in Florida.

Edit: For yotes w/ the aforementioned guns you need head shots in .22 or .25cal!!!! Body will put it down but wont kill it until it's hit again in the head.

Edit Edit: Never use PBA pellets on a spring piston gun!!! Ever!!! Gamo only uses them to get their velocity ratings up. These pellets are lighter which means that they travel faster. At a glance that seems like a great thing, but these pellets exit the barrels long before the piston hits the front of the compression chamber so there is no leftover pressure to cushion it. It is the equivalent of dry-firing a bow. It is very damaging to your gun. However, pumps and pre-charged pneumatics(PCPs) can shoot PBA w/o any adverse effects b/c they just release compressed gas.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:56 PM

I dont know what kind of pellet gun I have but it shoots 1000fps which is PLENTY!!! For simple squirrels you dont need more than 500fps I'd say. I used to have a hard plastic pellet gun that shot around 400fps and it finished off squirrels no problem. If your not serious about air guns, then get something cheap for under 80$. Theres no need to spend 200+ bucks on a gun that you hardly use.

When it comes to pellet choice remember this, for guns that shoot slower, say under 600fps then get flat nosed pellets. They dont shoot fast but they deliver a punch. With guns like 1000fps, get pointed hunting pellets because they'll fly straighter and be more accurate.

I've hunted alot with pellet guns, if you have any questions just shoot me a pm.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:57 AM
Typical Buck

Just got a RWS 350 Mag .177 At 1250 fps.You have to use the heaviest pellets available or the accuracy goes all to hell re: blown skirts.Crossman Premier Ultra Mags are made for guns over 1000fps at 10.5gr pellet weight.What they do is slow down the velocity to 1000-1100fps so the pellet doesn't have to ride out the shockwave and gets below the sound barrier to eliminate the sub-sonic crack like a .22 RF [Faster isn't always better]........Harold
Old 08-08-2007, 09:21 AM

For fast-shooting.22 cal airguns(over 1000 fps) try using .22 cal bullets, around 30-40 grain. The hollow skirt on a pellet stabilizesit, but because the barrels are rifled anyway, solid bullets,which can withstand the forces involved in going supersonic, are a far better choice.Same in .25 cal but few airguns shoot that fast in .25.
Note: I meant solid BULLETS, not cartridges.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:32 AM
Typical Buck

Will probably get a .22 barrel for it and have the best of both worlds.A .20 would be great but pellets are hard to find here except .177 and .22 cal.........brings back thousands of hours spent shooting and huntinf with pellet guns as a child............Harold
Old 08-09-2007, 04:23 PM
Typical Buck

i own a daisy powerline 880. its got 775 fps, but pellets are hard to load and bb's are unpredictable, but ive killed frogs, turtles, and a few birds.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:02 PM

air gun hunter here new to the sight but air guns &bows are all I can use I have two air guns 1 is a gamo 220 it is a .177 cal the other is a beeman 1092 intercangeable caliber I canchange it from a .177 cal to .22 cal ther both awsome for small game.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:15 PM

havent lately but saw one in a cabelas cat. that caught my I (1600 fps) thinking I met get me one

Quick Reply: AIRGUNS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.