Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Help Trapping a "Fisher cat"

Old 06-25-2007, 12:33 PM

Default RE: Help Trapping a "Fisher cat"

More great information that is appreciated !

I was doing a search for conibear 220 traps and I'm assuming (I'm not a trapper) that conibear is the "style" trap and there are a variety of brand name conibear traps. If so what what is the best/prefered maker of conibear traps. Also would anyone know any websites/links to purchase them.

Many thanks!
Old 06-25-2007, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Belisle is my favorite, but you better get a setter and a book on fisher trapping and a body grip holder for each trap.Those are screwed into a log run and the trap will stay there without all kinds of fancy wiring.minnesota trapline products should be able to take care of ya. 320-599-4176
Old 06-25-2007, 02:45 PM

Thanks for the contact information! Great prices and service. I have quite a few new goodies coming in the mail ! I can't wait to get after this thing.

Steve

ORIGINAL: furgitter

Belisle is my favorite, but you better get a setter and a book on fisher trapping and a body grip holder for each trap.Those are screwed into a log run and the trap will stay there without all kinds of fancy wiring.minnesota trapline products should be able to take care of ya. 320-599-4176
Old 06-25-2007, 05:53 PM

contact your local co and talk to them first and see when the season is and what they think itcould be . i have never heard of a fisher attacking cats before. I have seen several dead fishers and they are about the size of a cat so it would not be easy for one to kill several cats at once.
Old 06-25-2007, 06:11 PM

and who calls them fisher cats any way?
Old 06-25-2007, 07:23 PM

??? Most internet searches/articles for fisher's will sometimes refer to them as "fisher cats". How fisher's got this nickname is beyond me?

ORIGINAL: mnhunter_32

and who calls them fisher cats any way?
Old 06-25-2007, 07:32 PM

Fisher's IMO are uncommon here in lonely central New York. Recently there have been some sightings. I think based on the uncommon sightings and the type/way everything is being killed the "assumption" is it is a fisher.

There really are not too many other preditors to choose from here. This is a new experience for everyone around here. This thing kills at night, must be fast, doesn't eat what it kills, and pretty much decapitates everything it kills? I think it is safe to say a Coyotee would eat what it kills.

Really, what ever it is, it needs to die.

ORIGINAL: mnhunter_32

contact your local co and talk to them first and see when the season is and what they think itcould be . i have never heard of a fisher attacking cats before. I have seen several dead fishers and they are about the size of a cat so it would not be easy for one to kill several cats at once.
Old 06-25-2007, 07:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

They are more of a wolverine, but them, otters, skunks, mink, there all members of the weasle family.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:16 PM
Fork Horn

mnhunter
I just referenced my male fisher that is hanging on the wall currently. It is about 40 inches tip of tail to the nose and about 3 times the size/weight of a cat. they got a mean additude and some nasty teeth and claws and I would not put it past one to kill multiple cats.
JOE
Old 06-26-2007, 07:45 PM
Fork Horn

ok now i want to see a picture of this thing dead... keep posting this is getting exciting!!

Quick Reply: Help Trapping a "Fisher cat"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.