Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Help Trapping a "Fisher cat"

Old 07-05-2007, 12:08 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Help Trapping a "Fisher cat"

ORIGINAL: Phil from Maine

Fishers do kill a lot of cats and sometimes dogs. It happens quite frequently here in Maine.
I have never heard tell of it in this area, and yes we do have fishers. They tend to stay away from populated areas as well. However we do have foxes and coyotes coming into towns and killing cats and in some cases dogs.. I have seen a fisher in close to a town but, more on the outside edges. I have never heard tell of a fisher killing any dogs...

In most states you can kill nuisance animals.
Not in this state except under certain provisions!

Do yourself a favor and check the laws man, here you need to contact a warden and he will instruct you as who is licensed by the state to take care of them...This is a law to insure the right animal is taken care of. Also this law helps to cut down on poachers trying to kill other wildlife..
In my area people on my road alone lost like10 cats in a1 1/2 month time period. Everyone said it was a Fisher some people actually seeing it at night, and the obvious evidencetracks and bloodin the snow. Soall the neighbor gottogether giving land use permissionto a local long time trapper, and he ended uptrapping a few of them. One was shot bya neighbor on his back lawn trying to get into his chicken coop. After this peoplescats stopped disappearing. I have also been told on good authority you can get a permit or something from the town to shoot up to 5 nuisance deer if they are raising hellwith your crops. The crop raidingmay be the "certain Provisions" your talking about to get the permit due to it being some peoples livelyhood I dont know. Another timemy dad was losing chickens left and right and we were told by thechief of police if its on yourback lawn killingyour animals you candefend them and shoot it.He might not be a warden but thats permission enough for me.This chicken killing culpritturned out to be astray dog though not a fisher.And as for them killing dogs maybe I should have put it as "I heard" because thats here say to me which I have no proof for. Iwas told thatby a couple of old timers about a few incidents so who knows.And when I said"in most states you can killnuisance animals " the sentence before it said "Definately check your state laws just to make sure you dont get into trouble."
Old 07-05-2007, 04:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

have also been told on good authority you can get a permit or something from the town to shoot up to 5 nuisance deer if they are raising hellwith your crops.
I have no idea where you have come up with this? Here in this part of the state you must consult a warden who will try to prevent them from getting the crops.. If no luck then he will issue you a permit to stop the problem...Limited to 5 deer? No way! you can shoot them until they stop distroying and eating your crops. No Limit unless they stop after the first one. To say the town can give you a permit to hunt 5 deer on your land because of some getting in your garden? You would have too shoot them while entering your crops...Perhaps you are from a more populated area like in Southern Maine where the deer numbers are higher then most of Maine...Where most of the property is posted to keep others from hunting?

Soall the neighbor gottogether giving land use permissionto a local long time trapper, and he ended uptrapping a few of them.
So the trapper I am assuming is the one that the state has licensed to trap the nuisance animals correct? It also sounds like you have a big private neighborhood that has alot of farming land? If so then a fisher could be prowling around but, would still try to avoid people and most likely alot ot the cats went by way of the coyote. I am not saying that a fisher didn't show up and kill one from time to time it is just unussual for them to. We have a few around here as well but very rarely will one come into town, but, foxes are here killing cats alot.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:51 PM
Typical Buck

Most of that info came from the town officials and trust me Im definately not saying they know what they are talking about lol. Butone would think they should know.No Im not in southern Maine, but yes a lot of land is posted here. And the trapper Im not sure if he was licensed by the state to trap nuisance animals, but he had a trapping license and it was trapping season when this went on so someone asked him tocome on over and have at it. I have noticed a lot of foxes around though now that you mention it so who knows. But its kinda weird that it stopped after he gota couple of the fishers and that was all he targeted so he didnt catch any foxes.