Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Help Trapping a "Fisher cat"

Old 06-27-2007, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help Trapping a "Fisher cat"

ORIGINAL: smt1243

Fisher's IMO are uncommon here in lonely central New York. Recently there have been some sightings. I think based on the uncommon sightings and the type/way everything is being killed the "assumption" is it is a fisher.

There really are not too many other preditors to choose from here. This is a new experience for everyone around here. This thing kills at night, must be fast, doesn't eat what it kills, and pretty much decapitates everything it kills? I think it is safe to say a Coyotee would eat what it kills.

Really, what ever it is, it needs to die.

ORIGINAL: mnhunter_32

contact your local co and talk to them first and see when the season is and what they think itcould be . i have never heard of a fisher attacking cats before. I have seen several dead fishers and they are about the size of a cat so it would not be easy for one to kill several cats at once.
I have seen quite a few in CNY. The fartherest south I saw one was Brewerton but I have been told they are in cicero swamp.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really doubt it's a fisher. Chances are much higher it's a run of the mill predator like a coon, bobcat, fox etc.

First thing you need to do is call your local conservation officer. There is trapping of Marten and Fisher via special permit. Areas are shown on this map:

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/30442.html

I've trapped about a dozen of these for research purposes.

They are super easy to trap. We used havahart traps, whatever stinky meat you can find for bait, andskunk scent for caller.

Fisher are a member of the Mustelid family. Same family as wolverines, pine marten, otters,mink,etc...

Old 07-02-2007, 07:56 PM

Thought I'd just try out my new conibear traps. They work just fine. Doc says nothing broke and my fingernail will grow back after it falls off. Can't wait to get started.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:07 PM
Typical Buck

Fishers do kill a lot of cats and sometimes dogs. It happens quite frequently here in Maine. Although they will usually eat at least part of the animal they kill. They are also the only animal that can kill and eat a pocupine by rolling it onto its back without getting quilled. They usually make a mess out of their prey. Im talking insides strewn everywhere.A 220 conibear trap will work for sure IF it is a fisher... Like someone else stated earlieruse a pole set and lean the 7ft log at an angle against a tree with bait.A friend and Idid this backin ourteens and trapped quite a few. Watch out though because they are tough and nasty. If its not done right and they are caught wrong and are stillalive, IT WILL NOT BACK DOWN FROM YOU or anything for that matterand can tear you up pretty good. My friend Jim found out the hard way. He had trapped one in a foothold trap, clubbed it, thought it was dead and ended up with like 30 stitches and almost a few missing fingers when all of a sudden it sprung back to life. They arent huge but haveteeth the size of a large dogs. Thats why 220 conibears are so much better if set up corectly.99 % of the time the animal will be deadif you catch it.Bring something with you to dispatch the animaljust incase. If you dont have a firearm a bat would be better then nothing. Slam him hard at the base of his skull then leave him alone a while to make sure it did the job. Seriously though make sure its dead.Definately check your state laws just to make sure you dont get into trouble. In most states you can kill nuisance animals.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Fishers do kill a lot of cats and sometimes dogs. It happens quite frequently here in Maine.
I have never heard tell of it in this area, and yes we do have fishers. They tend to stay away from populated areas as well. However we do have foxes and coyotes coming into towns and killing cats and in some cases dogs.. I have seen a fisher in close to a town but, more on the outside edges. I have never heard tell of a fisher killing any dogs...

In most states you can kill nuisance animals.
Not in this state except under certain provisions!

Do yourself a favor and check the laws man, here you need to contact a warden and he will instruct you as who is licensed by the state to take care of them...This is a law to insure the right animal is taken care of. Also this law helps to cut down on poachers trying to kill other wildlife..
Old 07-03-2007, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Guess I should have warned you about new traps. They have oil on them, makes em hard to set. Soak them in soapy water and rince them off.That will help.If its still tough to keep set, just let em get some surface rust on them.Along with the safetys on the trap, an added safety can be used, bought at the same place. PM. me and Ill walk you through it.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:12 PM

Okay I've set up two traps so far. At this point they are just set up with the trap safety still on and no bait.

Before I bait them I'm looking for opinions on my trap placement? Too high, too steep, etc. Please take a look at the following pics....any opinions good or bad would be appreciated. I just want to get it right before I put the lure/bait out.

Many thanks,
Steve
Old 07-03-2007, 07:15 PM

Same trap different angle

Old 07-03-2007, 07:18 PM

Second trap.........

Also is there a way to post a picture so it can be view in the thread and doesn't have to be viewed as an attachment?

Old 07-04-2007, 08:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Everything you have there looks good, provided the trap is wired down real well. Now when you bait , you are going to have to cover the bait with pine branches so birds cant see it. Otherwise you may catch a hawk.You can take a bundle and wire them together, then wire them to one side,and do the same on the other side, using the trap as a frame,do this AFTER the bait is wired in. be sure no sticks are going to get bit by the trap. You may think about spreading the trigger out a little to make the animal feel a little better about going in.Out of the box traps always need a little modification.
Good luck!

Quick Reply: Help Trapping a "Fisher cat"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.