Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Do coyotes really kill calves?

Old 08-03-2007, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do coyotes really kill calves?

Ill be the first then for ya. Ive seen 14 in a line running away when I snared the alpha male.In the next 10 days I killed 20 yotes in a single back yard.Call B.S. on it if ya want but I killed 150 in 30 days. Ive seen 2 packs 15 members or more in 10 years, but then again thats what I do for a living.
ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

"Packs of Coyotes". I have been around coyote's and cattle for 48 years. I have never seen more than 3 adult coyote's together in my life. We have never lost a calf to a coyote. Will they eat a dead animal? Yes. Are they oportunistic? Yes. Do they kill cattle? Maybe if the cattle are sick or injured, but I believe it is a rare occurence when one kills a healthy cow.

I have been reading about, hunting, and talking to coyote hunter's all my life. I have never heard the first hunter tell me he ran into a pack of adult coyote's. Tom.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Do coyotes really kill calves?

Here in OK most of the calves takenby coyotes are probably killed as they are being born.Sometimes abunch of coyoteswill attack thecow as she is calving. Saw that happen twice.As for coyotes not running in groups, i have seen as many as nine running together at one time.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:00 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by IADeerHunter16
I've heard neighbors claim that coyotes have killed their calves, but I'd say what really happened was they don't check them very often and had one die naturally and coyotes did what was natural for a scavenger and ate it.
Coyotes arent very big. Coyotes are scavangers. And like with a lot of things, lazy ranchers and farmers want to blame everyone else but themselves for incompetence and laziness.

Want to keep your livestock from randomly dying and Coyotes dining on the what little remains of your family's precious ranch? Maybe grow a little responsibility and start actually paying attention to your family's assets, including your lifestock.

If you can't pay a shred of attention to your precious calves, then maybe it's time you considered selling your ranch to someone who can.

This deliberate myth that coyotes somehow take calves that are closely guarded by any animal with a living herd instinct, like cattle worth raising, and not stupid cattle who can't even defend their own offspring cause they're too braindead, is merely an excuse to go running around with shotguns and jeeps hunting coyotes, wolves and foxes, but especially coyotes.

...Edited by Champlain Islander...
There's a lot of far more worthy prey to go hunting for than coyotes who are doing what nature endowed them to do, which is not let dead animals go to waste.

Dead livestock are 100% the responsibility of incompetent ranchers, and 0% the responsibility of coyotes.

If you are a rancher and you happen to own a herd of braindead cattle with not even a shred of herd instinct, maybe it's time you sold that cattle, and restocked in a smarter breed of cattle that can survive you not visiting the ranch for weeks at a time?

Alternatively, maybe you should hire some staff to attend your braindead herd, if you aren't going to be paying them any attention? No matter how you slice it, the coyote is not at fault.

[edited some minor grammar mistake.]

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 03-03-2017 at 01:36 PM. Reason: edited out an illegal suggestion -1 week ban
Old 03-03-2017, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well... After 10 years... What we have revealed today is someone who has either never raised cattle, or just started and thinks they have it all figured out.

I'm usually one to give benefit of the doubt to new members, but this first post out of the gate is ridiculous.
Old 03-03-2017, 01:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Coyo
Coyotes arent very big. Coyotes are scavangers. And like with a lot of things, lazy ranchers and farmers want to blame everyone else but themselves for incompetence and laziness.
Perhaps where you live but here in the north country an adult male will go 40 pounds or more and I have personally seen one that weighed 70 pounds. And yes northern coyotes do run in hunting packs which ambush their prey and kill both deer and calves especially when they are newly born.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 03-03-2017 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Another 10 year old post dug up and crap posted by a newbee. Were it me I would send a warning to the poster and delete the post.

One of the first farms we got invited to hunt for coyotes on had 6 coming into the beef cattle feel lot and eating grain out of the fed bunks. Seem they liked the grain as well as your rover does.

They even got into a fenced in lot where there were about 10 calf huts and killed a couple calves on a dairy farm we got invited to hunt.

The average weight of the coyote's we have killed since Oct 2016 is 55 pounds. Only a sick one would weigh 40 pounds or less.

Al
Old 03-03-2017, 03:16 PM
Dominant Buck

He opened it and got banned for some comments. I decided to leave it up in case others want to comment on the original question do coyotes kill calves. I have seen a pack surrounding a cow getting ready to calve. I went to the barn and the farmer was more than glad I saw it and reported it to him. He headed out with his tractor, gun and was going to safeguard the cow and calf.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

...Edited by Champlain Islander....

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 03-04-2017 at 02:11 AM. Reason: comment best done via Pm...thanks
Old 03-03-2017, 11:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well he certainly is misinformed I'll say that. I've literally shot yotes OFF a calf! Still didn't get to the poor little fella in time but I tried! Already ripped it's throat. Typically yotes don't pack around more than 2, sometimes 4 at a time but you will see an occasional 6-8 pack in your North Eastern states and while they aren't as "together" as wolves, they do sometimes successfully work as a team somewhat to bring down larger prey such as deer and small cattle.

But man if you haven't ever watched a pack of wolves track, split an animal off from the herd, and act so in unison you would think the whole thing was choreographed, then you have not seen anything worth seeing in nature. It's amazing how well they work as a team even when a couple will split off from the pack to head the animal off or act as "stoppers" as much as a mile ahead. Makes one believe in telepathy!!
Old 03-04-2017, 02:06 AM
Dominant Buck

I came across the signs of a Vermont coyote ambush as shown in a new 4" snowfall. I was hunting and walking along a field edge when I came across a ripped up and completely eaten doe. The legs and head were all torn off and all the meat was completely picked clean. It was spread over an area about the size of a small house with lots of coyote scat mixed with deer hair. The snow was all flattened and covered with both coyote prints and then bird tracks. I decided to try to figure out what happened so I circled the area until I could find the deer tracks. There were 3 or 4 deer that came out of the swamp and I could see where they were moving to the north along the field pawing up the grass in the new snow. When I came to where they started to run I slowed down and found 6 or more spots where there were coyotes laying down in the high weeds on the edge of the swamp. It looked like a lone coyote came across the field and chased the deer right into the bedded pack. The doe they chose was probably a fawn based on the size which at that time of year around here would run about 60 to 80 pounds. The coyotes had quite a feast and didn't waste much. That kill was clearly done by an organized pack consisting of adults and young ones.

Quick Reply: Do coyotes really kill calves?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.