HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Shootin 'yotes w/ turkey load (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/190821-shootin-yotes-w-turkey-load.html)

Schobs 05-07-2007 08:58 PM

Shootin 'yotes w/ turkey load

some of you may have seen the pic of the coyote that i posted in my thread "is this a big coyote?", well i was wondering how effective a 12 gauge with 5 shot would be on the coyote out to about 30-35 yards. i wouldnt hunt exclusively for it, but i'll be turkey hunting in a couple weeks, and i would love to harvest the coyote and get the pelt tanned or the skull mounted, but i defenitely dont want to just injure it. I know it isnt the ideal coyote load, and is probably down on the list, but would it make the kill? where should i aim, shoulder or head? i will be using a semi-automatic shotgun, so there would be a chance for a follow up shot, if that matters at all. thanks alot, im not too familiar with coyotes.

fingerz42 05-07-2007 10:40 PM

RE: Shootin 'yotes w/ turkey load

Turkey load extra tight choke.. you could pry take him at 25-30 yards.. I hunt turkeys with 4 shot incase a yote does jump out hes going down..

p.s. be ready for a follow-up shot

Schobs 05-07-2007 10:59 PM

thanks, i know its not all that matters, but i had about 65 bb's in a paper plate at 35 yards. 2 or 3 of those shots should do the trick eh? where do you aim, head or vitals?

foxracerx74 05-08-2007 07:00 AM

thatll work just fine...turkey load and a real tight choke...thats how i hunt yotes when i use shotgun...its good to about 40 yards...ive droped themwith that setup there...and aim for the vitals thatll take em out...and i wouldnt be surprised if he shows up in when your callin in some gobblers...i have coyotes right on top of me when i call turkeys...just last weekend i had 2 big ones come in and wouldnt leave...there lucky the birds were comin in or i would of had a double...the damn yotes wouldnt leave i stood up and tried to shoo them away and they only jumped backa a few feet and and as soon as i sat down walked towards me again...they were 10 feet away

il coyote 05-08-2007 10:50 AM

I sure wouldn't use 5 shot when strictly hunting coyotes, but if you're turkey hunting and a coyote happens to walk by, put that bead on the vitals and kill it.

fingerz42 05-08-2007 12:35 PM

Vitals.. I too wouldnt use it strictly for coyote hunting.. but if you're turkey hunting and u see one itll do the trick.

tschaef 05-08-2007 05:49 PM

I can't comment on the effectiveness of the load becaase I've never tried it, but if you have dekes out you do have a good chance at a shot, a yote charged my decoys opening day this year, and its not the 1st time its happened. The only reason I haven't taken them is the owner of the land I hunt is a dog loving non-hunter that doesn't realize how destructive they are and won't let me take them.

MikeVT 05-09-2007 08:54 AM

I know that a 3 1/2" #4 shot from my 12 gauge at 25 yards will do the trick, I field tested it a few years ago. The only coyote I've gotten a shot at while turkey hunting.

Jome1 05-09-2007 09:58 AM

The loads would work but if your are going to sell the furs it would not be a good idea because of the fur damage.

Legacy357 05-09-2007 11:07 AM

remember if they come running in, the choke is tight! The only shot I ever got at a coyote I was out turkey hunting and one came running full stride under a power line. At 25 yards, I put the bead on him and tried to follow and shoot. I thought that I had hit him and he rolled into the woods. I got up to go get him and he was running up the powerline again. Never found any blood so I prob shoot behind him and scared the crap out of him.....