HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   First Time Hunter (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/187567-first-time-hunter.html)

TYLER_ROOKIE_HUNTER 04-08-2007 05:07 PM

First Time Hunter

Ok, I have just started hunting, and im anxious to get out there and harvest some game. So for a thirteen year old beginner what should i start with.....i waz thinkin about som yotes.And imnot one of these kids thatwant to go out there and blow holes in everything i see; i have respect for wildlife and nature.

metaldonnieg 04-08-2007 08:29 PM

RE: First Time Hunter

I started on rabbit and squirrel and still have more fun hunting them than anything else.

TYLER_ROOKIE_HUNTER 04-08-2007 09:18 PM

i have already did some squirrel i want to take on somthin a little bigger lol

Criggster 04-09-2007 07:47 AM

Not to sound discouraging, but you have picked one of THE toughest animals to hunt. I would suggest staying with the small game, and maybe trying your hand at some deer hunting this coming fall. You have got a lot to learn, so find someone that can teach you proper gun handling and woodsman skills. The foundation should be firm for you to learn and enjoy the great outdoors. I learned most of what I know by reading magazines, getting out and observing what worked and what didn't and why, and over the course of 18 years have read almost 1,000 magazines. They are a great source of info.

Ohio Wally 04-09-2007 07:48 AM

Tyler Rookie Hunter:
Go after the coyotes!!!!!!!! Read this forum a lot and get anything you can off the internet about hunting coyotes. Read anything you can get your hands on. Hunt them all year round. You will help the deer, turkeys and other small gamein your area. Find anyone that is hunting coyotes around your area and talk to them. If you become successful in coyote hunting, you will be sharpening skills in many areas.

Make a religion out of playing the wind! Set-up and camo are paramount! Sharpen your shooting skills with shotgun and rifle (practice)!

Welcome to the fraternity

il coyote 04-09-2007 08:38 AM

Read, Read, Read. You've come to a place that holds a wealth of knowledge, just sit back and enjoy the show. Many questions that you'll eventually encounter in whatever type of game you pursue have probably already been addressed somewhere in these pages.

Try and learn something each and every time you go afield.

coyote_buster 04-09-2007 01:42 PM

dont start on yotes because they are very hard, start on rabbits and squirells, this will get you used to shooting, spot and stalk, all sorts of stuff, and more time to educate yourself on coyotes

foxracerx74 04-09-2007 02:55 PM

id save yotes for last...ive hunted quite a number of different game species and yotes is my most recent up taking and is also one of my favorite hunts but id say its also the most difficult and challenging hunts ive been on...start off on small game like the others said...and if you can find an experienced turkey hunter they can call in a nice turk for ya...so if you got someone who can call in turkeys and you can make a good shot you should have a successful hunt...and depending on where you live turkey season should be open or about to open up soon

TROPHYHUNTER25 04-10-2007 05:04 AM

try long range ground hogs

mjreck21 04-10-2007 07:25 PM

Your in the same position I was about 3 years ago. Im 16 years old and have been yote hunting for about 2.5 years.

It took me about a year to get my first coyote (around 80-100 stands). It is fun, but will take some patience.

First to to get a call, and practice with it alot. Practice makes perfect:D

Second, scout the area for coyote tracks, yote poop, any sign of coyotes. Fence lines are good too.

Third, read alot. I learned almost all my information about coyotes reading these forums and other forums.

Anything else just ask! And good luck to ya!