Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Air Rifle for Small game

Old 12-23-2002, 06:41 AM

Default RE: Air Rifle for Small game

dc hunter,,,RWS shoots 110fps.and with there heavest pellet it will go through a rabbit size critter.don't use elcheapo pellets from the chain stores.
Old 12-23-2002, 06:43 AM

ooops the darn key board. that was 1100 fps
Old 12-23-2002, 10:31 PM

From how far should I get penetration on cats? Should the long haired ones receive less penetration? I have been using only RWS pellets. Specificly the hollow point and the domed. I can't seem to find the pointed ones local.

"Liberty is never unalienable; it must be redeemed regularly with the blood of patriots or it always vanishes."
"That the timid are not philosophically qualified to comment on the activities of the courageous." Jeff Cooper
Old 12-30-2002, 09:00 PM

I have a Gamo Hunter 220 (w/ a 4x 32mm scope), which shoots the .177 Cal pellets at 1000fps. I use pointed pellets and they work great. My son shot his first squirrel with it two weeks ago. It's very accurate.

Old 01-07-2003, 06:28 PM

I'd imagine that you could kill a cat at pretty close range with one, but I'd recommend using a .22 LR subsonic or something, if you want it to be quiet.

Kris
Old 01-10-2003, 07:09 PM

Pellet rifles are very effective small game hunting weapons. RWS recently came out with a Model 350 that will shoot 1,250 FPS with a .177 pellet and 1,000 FPS with a .22 caliber. The .22 will definitely hit harder due to the mass of the projectile. This gun will cost you around $350.00 without scope though. I have a Daisy pump that I kill squirrels with but would love to have the 350.
Old 01-11-2003, 07:48 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

One of the best gifts I ever recieved was a Sheridan .20 cal pellet rifle that my father gave me for christmas. 21 or 22 years ago. I killed more squirrels (and rabbits and doves and frogs and chipmunks) than I could count. I noticed a few years back when I pulled it out of the closet to teach my daughter how to shoot, that the pellets I bought were made differently than they used to be. They are an hour glass shape where they used to be cylindrical. I suspected that it would make it go faster....but didn't think about it having less impact energy. Two weeks ago I shot a squirrel and it dropped out of the tree. I waited a few minutes figuring that it would be better to let it bleed out. But the damned thing surprised me and jumped up and ran off. Today I shot another one 3 times. it dropped out of the tree , but still ran off. both times it was a shot of about 25-30 yards. I don't think I am going to shoot any more unless I can find some better pellets. I don't think the rifle has lost it's "umph". it still seems to throw the lead pretty hard, although I would love to put a chron on it.

David
Old 01-25-2003, 06:31 AM
Spike

I don't know if they go all over the country, but I got a heck of a deal on a pretty awesome air rifle off the Cummings tool sales trucks that come through our parts. A buddy of mine bought one and told me about it. The next time the truck came through I had to get one for myself. It is a no-name made in Japan. I paid $19.99 for it and it shoots .177cal. pellets at 900fps. I didn't really believe my friend when he said how hard it hits so I put it through a test of my own. I shot my Cabellas fall book at about 15 yards. The pellet went almost all the way through and the last page had a dent the size of the pellet. I also shot it into a pine board to see how it would do and it shot right through a 1 inch pine board at 15 yards. I just finished an antler mount for a rind and am working on another for a nice 4X scope and rings to put on it. I took it to a friends in-laws house to kill chipmunks that were getting into everything and it will shoot right through them and you hear the pellet flying through the brush after going through. Like I said for the price it is a heck of a little gun. All I need to do now is see the cat that has been messing under my back shed and it's game over.

LIVE TO HUNT,HUNT TO LIVE.
Old 01-25-2003, 09:21 AM

I have a daisy 880 power line, don't remember how many fps. I've used it on just about any kind of critter that would pass through the yard, even ground hogs out of the garden. It works well on squirrels on the bird feeder 30y away, but it's better to be a little closer for the bigger critters. I also had a gamo a while back, think it was called the hunter model, but I got rid of it because it was for some reason vey inaccurate. Both guns were .177.