HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   night hunting coyotes (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/184938-night-hunting-coyotes.html)

gamebuster 03-17-2007 02:51 PM

night hunting coyotes

Hey what is the best way to hunt coyotes at night.

Howler 03-17-2007 04:09 PM

RE: night hunting coyotes

If you've never done it, which it sounds like, I'd suggest buying a dvd called "Hunting the Night Shift" and watch and learn. These guys cover about everything you'll want/need to know!

gamebuster 03-17-2007 04:55 PM

I have been coyote hunting in the morning and in the evening but with no luck. I was just wandering if i would have any better luck at night.

Howler 03-18-2007 06:58 AM

Hunting the night should bring you better success, IF you do it right. You will still need to approach your stand correctly, you will be better off with a partner so one of you can call and operate the light, still need to keep the wind in your favor, etc.
I've got an extra copy of the Hunting the Night Shift on dvd I'd sell ya, if you're interested, PM me!

fingerz42 03-18-2007 09:36 AM

All i hunt is nights, and in the great state of PA. I'll tell you its with limited success. I have been out way too many times doing everything correctly (far as i know) and havent seen anything in god knows how long. I love reading where guys say they were on a cold streak when its only been a week or two between seeing yotes.. come on over here.. I'm on about a 3 month cold streak.. and thats with hunting on average at least 3 days a week and at least 3 stands a day.. The yote population around here must be extremely low.. I live in NW PA.

gamebuster 03-18-2007 10:40 AM

Thanks but what kinda light and calles do you use.

Buckhunter_jm 04-06-2007 07:20 PM

i heard plenty of yotes in pa. some area,s have a lot, and some don:t.

rem. 222

sproulman 01-04-2009 10:56 AM

hunt from your treestands along pipelines at 1/2 hr after dark and your kills will increase.

trreestands is secret,use 12 ga with full choke no.4 shot ,caller .

with snow on ground, i dont use a light and try to hunt full moon nights, that will light up snow so no light is needed

DoubleLung55 01-04-2009 01:42 PM

Fingerz...... I have a cabin by Kane as i think i mentioned to you before, i know for a fact the population is booming up there. I was up the day after christmas running the beaver line and all i heard every night on the mountian was them howling up a storm. Then id take a walk up the switchback roads and had trouble not stepping in dog logs. Was polluted with tracks as well.

I did notice however that the yotes up there are alot more cautious then the suburbian dogs that i call and trap for here. I have never been able to hold a yote yet but have had them in my traps but they pulled out as i was not setup to catch them. Up in McKean the dogs would only come within about 20-30 yards of my sets and circle and id presume smell what was going on and never come closer.

Best of luck and keep after em!

WhitBri 01-12-2009 08:00 AM

I hunt Iowa so no lights allowed but snow and moon light works great. I set up mainly in open country calling them out of drainage ditches and switchgrass. All bets are off at night as yotes are much more willing to come to the call and will even do things like cross roads and come towards roads which they would never do during daylight. I figure my night hunting is atleast twice as successful as my morning and evening sits