Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

night hunting coyotes

Old 01-12-2009, 10:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: night hunting coyotes

ORIGINAL: WhitBri

I hunt Iowa so no lights allowed but snow and moon light works great. I set up mainly in open country calling them out of drainage ditches and switchgrass. All bets are off at night as yotes are much more willing to come to the call and will even do things like cross roads and come towards roads which they would never do during daylight. I figure my night hunting is atleast twice as successful as my morning and evening sits
i only hunt coyotes at night.

best way is from treestand with 12 ga shotgun, no.4 shot and full choke.

my treestand is setup but i cant get out with roads as bad as they are.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Up here night hunting yotes is allowed by permit and shotgun only. The normal way is to use bait that is put out on the ice. Coyotes wander out on the ice alot up here. Normally they set the bait out off shore aways but with in shotgun range from where you are setting up. Calling will help but not needed as the bait will bring them in anyways. Hunting hours for night hunting starts 1/2 hour after sunset until 1/2 hour before sunrise.. Good Luck on getting a few of those yotes..
Old 01-13-2009, 06:02 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: fingerz42

All i hunt is nights, and in the great state of PA. I'll tell you its with limited success. I have been out way too many times doing everything correctly (far as i know) and havent seen anything in god knows how long. I love reading where guys say they were on a cold streak when its only been a week or two between seeing yotes.. come on over here.. I'm on about a 3 month cold streak.. and thats with hunting on average at least 3 days a week and at least 3 stands a day.. The yote population around here must be extremely low.. I live in NW PA.
I called in a pack of 14 last saturday night with my buddy. This is in central PA, and the first stand out of about 20 that produced so far. They do travel a fairly big territory so they arent always in a area.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:26 PM

How many did you get out of that pack of 14 crazedbowhunter, i bet it looked like a convoy coming in.
Old 01-14-2009, 04:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

We drive into a pasture and turn off the truck, turn on the spotlight, an hit the cottontail distress call a few times. Usually works for us