Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

New way to yote Hunt

Old 03-16-2007, 11:03 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: New way to yote Hunt

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

their gonna be running fast you may opt for shot rather than slugs. id use some pheasant loads with #2's or BB shot. again I agree with the others this aint really hunting but if ya need to rid the property of yotes for pest reasons then this method is actually practical. then to keep the yotes off the property you might get rid of the junk pile. Besides only hill billys keep piles of trash on their property.
you must have some big a$$ pheasants down in AZ!!!!!
Old 03-17-2007, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

Imagine if you reached into your wallet after cashing your paycheck and you noticed that someone had taken 800 or 1200 dollars out of it.

Or imagine if someone had taken your best rifle out of your safe while you were on vacation.

Thisfeeling that you are thinking of is what it feels like to go check on your cattle and find one of them dead on the ground all ripped up, or just a bloody carcass scattered around. When you invest and borrow heavilly to keep these things healthy and thriving, even one loss makes you sick. Especially amidst these high corn prices and you think there are coyotes on your farm, then do what you have to do to get rid of them.

Is it fair chase to push their den over with a tractor and blast them with a magazine extended slug gun, NO, but it gets the JOB done. If its kindof fun too, no harm done.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:19 AM

Besides only hill billys keep piles of trash on their property.
to badabout every woods that is around fields have trash piles in them. old fence, posts, stuff likethat. not just hillbillys as you call us. just cause you take the pile off the farm doesnt mean it will take care of the coyotes.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

on our farm we have at least 10 junk piles on the side of different fields.. We must be the biggest hillbilly’s around.lol

ReDoT said"oh no they kill and eat pheasants, so I will shoot everyone I see."

Are you a city slicker or do you just not know the REAL damage these coyotes are doing? Because of these animals you don’t think we need to thin(not eliminate) out. We haveZERO pheasantsZERO quail and just a few rabbitson our farm and we haveone of the biggest farms around these part. its not because they are killing a couple, they havekilled all of them; and now its to the point they are gone in these parts. Something has to be done or the rabbits are next same way with the turkeys and so on. Also understand that every calf one of these yotes killstakes almost a grand away from me
same way with our lambs and pigs. These animals you are wanting to save are doing serious harm to the environment and also on about every farmers wallet. they need to be thinned out. and if that means doing it unconventionally then that’s what has to be done. No its not hunting, I agree with that but something has to be done and it has to be done before it gets much worse!!

Old 03-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Fork Horn

Even if you kill every predator you see, you're not going to hurt the population very much, if at all. I agree with "A good coyote is a dead coyote."
Old 03-17-2007, 01:01 PM

I don't think anyone has said that coyotes need to be protected... The point being made was that the coyote has a place in the ecosystem just as the deer, pheasants, quail and rabbits do. I agree thatcoyotes need to be seriously thinned out, and I don't think there is anythingwrong with killing as many as you can because it is very difficult to make an impact on their population. You've got to do what you got to do. But I also think it is pretty selfish to feel that all other predators should be exterminated, as was the mindset of the 19th centuryand still is for some people. A true conservationist can see the value of everyspecies in an ecosystembut alsounderstandsthe necessity of management. I find it ironic how uptight some people get about being ethical and respectful when it comes to animals such as deer, but have no ethics when it comes to coyotes as if they are not wild animals also. Idisagree with the statement that "the only good coyote is a dead one." It seems disrespectful to hold a personal grudge with a wild animal and try to kill it maliciously. Just my opinion, but feel free to bash .

As for Hog Killer's plan, it's not for me, but go for it if that's what you gotta do. Use buck shot.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:48 PM

I'm with you, I'd do the same, but I would use the fur if its any good, the only good yote on a RANCH/FARM is a dead one.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

The yotes have migrated to my state in recent years.Not enough to cause any problems - Yet.

When I hunted years ago in CA. I saw 1st hand what those rascals can do to Deer and Rabbit at every opportunity.We do have an over abundance of Fox which can reak havoc on Rabbits,Turkeys etc.I've hunted a 200 acre farm for 8 years.When we 1st started hunting the Rabbit,Turkeys,Ducks were few.

In 8 yrs the Fox population has dropped dramaticly for some odd reason

We now have plenty of Rabbits and Turkeys like we never saw years ago.Bottom line is Yotes and there close cousin the Fox need to be kept in Close Check by whatever means.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:46 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: HighDesertWolf

Besides only hill billys keep piles of trash on their property.
I'm not a hilly billy. I grew up on a farm and its more as a burn pile that has been burned. I'm sorry but you have no clue about how my family is. We've been in the oil field business for forty years. If you think my family are hilly billies your wrong. You must be a "cityslicker" to say something like that. We're no where near it.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:41 PM

i agree with duckdog that its not really hunting, and your not giving the animal "fair chase", but if the animal is a nusiance, thats not illegal, it can be done, and if your a rancher that should be done

Quick Reply: New way to yote Hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.