Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

New way to yote Hunt

Old 03-07-2007, 01:32 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: New way to yote Hunt

I guess you all hunt yotes different than we do in southeast Missouri. We get about 8-12 good friends and load up the dogs. Usually have about 6-10 good july walkers and cb's. Run the yote down and turn loose the kill dog. Usually there is an Airdale or some other breed of dog. The kill dog takes care of the yote. The cattle farmers give these guys permission to go on their land to hunt. They just want rid of them. Plus the dog race sounds real good. Not to good for the yote.
Old 03-07-2007, 01:49 PM

ORIGINAL: alsaqr

Those of you in the northern and eastern states will change your tunes when the small game and deer disappear due to coyotes. Here in this part of OK the coyotes get over half of fawns born each year. i kill every coyote that i can, young included. Getting rid of young coyotes is the way to go.
Actually i agree with you, they are getting all kinds of animals around here..... lately especially. Since they dont really have any way to get away from people they get comfortable around us (of course) and then they start coming around our yards and get animals and people are getting attacked and everything else. I dont know about young ones though. It depends on how bad it gets. Right now its not to the point that something has to be done so I would proubably let them grow a little bit because they are easier to trick when they are really young and its not that much of a challenge.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:48 PM

ORIGINAL: alsaqr

Those of you in the northern and eastern states will change your tunes when the small game and deer disappear due to coyotes. Here in this part of OK the coyotes get over half of fawns born each year. i kill every coyote that i can, young included. Getting rid of young coyotes is the way to go.
OK I will challenge that statement. Those of us in the North KNOW that the #1 killer of Deer and Fawns are NOT coyote. The #1 killer of Deer and Fawns is a cold spring and wind! Coyotes get blamed for alot that they don't do!

Ya see, a Deers Fur is hollow, that way it traps the exiting body heat in it to keep the Deer warm. When spring comes, the Deer shed some of their Fur. Then when a cold front comes in and it is windy, the wind pulls the body heat away from the hollow fur causing the Deer to get Hypothermia and die.

I am not saying a coyote won't or don't kill fawns, they do, BUT you said the #1 killer of Deer is coyotes. That is not true in the North!
Old 03-07-2007, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

The number of fawn that are killed/eaten by coyotes can vary greatly from one region to the next with variation in factors such as coyote density, prey density, weather, etc.!
Old 03-07-2007, 05:34 PM

ORIGINAL: Howler

The number of fawn that are killed/eaten by coyotes can vary greatly from one region to the next with variation in factors such as coyote density, prey density, weather, etc.!
correct, but he said you boys in the North and East. I happen to be in both of those!!!

We do get alot of Deer "stolen" from hunters by coyotes. A hunter downs a Deer and has to track it or leave it over night and by the time the hunter recovers it there is nothing left!
Old 03-07-2007, 06:38 PM
Typical Buck

i dont see any problem with it either only because these animals need to be thined out. we have absolutly no small game here because of them. conservation people are actually thinking about putting a bounty on them starting this fall in hopes more people will thin them out.. dont frown on this guy just because its not how you hunt. it isreally hard to find a den.i hunt yotes and coonswith dogs and alot of people would say thats not sporting either, but youjoin mefor a hunt and see how hard it is.
lay off
Old 03-08-2007, 12:14 PM

ORIGINAL: browning.204

Don't forget, the females might be pregnant now!! Doesn't sound much like hunting more like just killing but whatever you gotta do.
I don't think my statement was giving a hard time. It was my opinion.

I agree that they need to be thinned out in some areas, I was challenging his statement about "you boys in the north and east" Not his method of hunting.
Old 03-08-2007, 04:47 PM
Typical Buck

its not much of sport, but getting rid of the yotes will help the turkey population
Old 03-08-2007, 05:05 PM

Well, the original poster hasn't commented further, so maybe the post was made to stir some people up. I have no idea.

But.......the original post did say it was on a family farm. If I had a farm, I would kill the predators ANY way possible. In my mind, it wouldn't be "hunting" it would be "exterminating". I wouldn't care if the females are pregnant, or if there were young ones.

I probably wouldn't go in there with a 12 ga with slugs though.

That's just me.
Old 03-08-2007, 07:40 PM

I know from watching it happen that when you try to walk up on a den that they will hear you coming becuase the vibrations coming through the ground and they can tell that its something big. They come up out of their den and look to see what it is and when they bust you they are gone. I would say the best thing to do is set up a trail cam and figure out the average time they come out. Set up somewhere close way before this time and wait till they come out. It works really good and i believe its more human than makeing them come out and blast them from 5 feet when they have no other exit. But all to his own!!!!!

Quick Reply: New way to yote Hunt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.