Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

I NEED MY BRETHREN'S HELP!!!

Old 03-04-2007, 08:18 PM

Default RE: I NEED MY BRETHREN'S HELP!!!

yes actually they have been saying there is going to be a short on .223 ammo but everywhere ive looked anyway that has yet to be seen. I agree with rammer about jumping up to a .243 but like i said.... most of the time you wont be shooting as far as you said you will be.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:25 PM

ORIGINAL: DANTHEHUNTER

Yes the .223 will work ok and if you shoot enough to know your rifle and round you choose. Now for Jake*** what are you talking about ,the .22-250 and .243 hurting your shoulder??? The swift getting blowed around by the wind ?? Well first off lets talk about the .224 bullet, isnt the bullet in your .223 the same as the swift and the 22-250.Of course it is so why would the wind blow the swift and not the 22-250 and .223?
Now for the recoil issue, If a .224/.243 calibur cartridge is hurting your shoulder when you shoot it, maybe you need never mind!!! Have fun.

Actually dan the .220 swift is a lighter bullet and if you knew anything you would realize the .220 swift is a .20 caliber bullet. Its lighter may be faster but its lighter. The .22-250 is a little heavier than the .223, they are both .22 caliber bullets but the 250 is a little heavier. The 250 and .243(shooting all day) can make you a little sore. I know this from experience. Just go out to a p dog field for a day or two and then come back and tell me about how it doesent bother your shoulder a little bit. And by the way i never said the .223 hurt my shoulder. I said the 250 and .243 does. Dont start stuff on here it leads to bans and all other kinds of things. As far as im concerned this is the end of this little convo, dont know about everyone else though. have a good one
Old 03-04-2007, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jake smith09

ORIGINAL: DANTHEHUNTER

Yes the .223 will work ok and if you shoot enough to know your rifle and round you choose. Now for Jake*** what are you talking about ,the .22-250 and .243 hurting your shoulder??? The swift getting blowed around by the wind ?? Well first off lets talk about the .224 bullet, isnt the bullet in your .223 the same as the swift and the 22-250.Of course it is so why would the wind blow the swift and not the 22-250 and .223?
Now for the recoil issue, If a .224/.243 calibur cartridge is hurting your shoulder when you shoot it, maybe you need never mind!!! Have fun.

Actually dan the .220 swift is a lighter bullet and if you knew anything you would realize the .220 swift is a .20 caliber bullet. Its lighter may be faster but its lighter. The .22-250 is a little heavier than the .223, they are both .22 caliber bullets but the 250 is a little heavier. The 250 and .243(shooting all day) can make you a little sore. I know this from experience. Just go out to a p dog field for a day or two and then come back and tell me about how it doesent bother your shoulder a little bit. And by the way i never said the .223 hurt my shoulder. I said the 250 and .243 does. Dont start stuff on here it leads to bans and all other kinds of things. As far as im concerned this is the end of this little convo, dont know about everyone else though. have a good one

I'm really glad you clarified yourself! [8D]

Just one suggestion. Do a lil research before you open your mouth again.

Your WRONG once again.......
Old 03-04-2007, 10:15 PM
Typical Buck

Jake, a 220 swift is a .224 caliber round.

Jake, a .223 and a 22-250 can shoot the same weight of bullet.

Jake, a 22-250 in a factory rifle "usually" comes in a slower twist than a .223 and therefor needs a lighter bullet to work properly. (Even though I shoot a heavier bullet out of my Savage Model 12 22-250 (1:12 twist) than I do the same gun in .223 (1:9 twist), but that is what I found they like)
Old 03-04-2007, 10:31 PM

Thanks Rammer, and I have been around guns and hunting my whole life, so I can usually pick out the stuff that is just "talking" or opinion because someones shoulder is made out of butter! =)

Sometimes I ask questions just to verify something that I think I have discovered or learned, and I just want to see what other people have to say.

I have decided on the .223 due to the fact the my brother has one and we are going to go in on bulk ammo together to get a better deal.

However, I think I'm going to get a .243 as well, not only for varmint hunting, but for deer hunting as well to avoid bruising and "blood shot" to any meat I may hit.

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL THE FOLKS THAT OFFER ME INFORMATION!!! I honestly hope that one day I can help all of you in some way as well!

As for Mr. Jake....if a .243 caliber weapon is causing you shoulder problems, I would suggest maybe getting a butt pad instead of shooting it with straight wood....obviously with some nails or someting sticking out of it too cause that is the only way a .243 would make you sore with it's recoil...Either that or hold it a little tighter to your shoulder!!!.....haha...I do appreciate the time you took to answer my post though!

~Cam
Old 03-04-2007, 10:40 PM
Typical Buck

I love my .223 but now that I am shooting (and loading) my own .243 ammo, I am loving it more. A .243 will do all that you are asking and more, but if you plan to shoot that far and accurately, the choice of ammo will be the biggest equation. If you plan on bulk buying, buy the good stuff. In .223 it will be a lot cheaper.
Old 03-04-2007, 10:50 PM

Yeah, we already agreed that we are going to get only quality rounds, none of those "grab" bags that have an assortment of goodies.

I'm just going to take the hit in the yardage. In the military I consistently pegged 300 meter targets with open sites on my M16A2, which is the 5.56mm NATOround that we so commonly and lovingly refer to as the .223.

I figure if I can do that, with good optics and a nice heavy barrelled weapon...I should be able to do some pretty nice damage at a good distance! Like I said though, I'm not going competition, and it will just be for fun.....not to mention I don't think I want to spend the money to get good enough to peg targets at the .243's effective range!

I do want to start reloading though! I just need to wait until my wife and I buy our house and I have a garage to get the area to reload all set-up!

Thanks for the reply though....you seem like you certainly know what you are talking about, and I appreciate your input! I can learn a lot from people like you, that's for sure!

Thanks again,

~Cam
Old 03-04-2007, 11:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fuzzyballs44 - I see your in northern ID. I am going to be out in that area in Sept for an archery elk hunt. I'll let ya know some more details as I know more, we could maybe meet and have a beer or 2.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am going to have to stop loading for my swift!!! I have been using the wrong bullets ,Thanks Jake you are my hero!!! He isnt worth the breath.
Old 03-05-2007, 12:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here Jake this what a rifle looks like. It is a .220 swift ruger M77 MKII target.It shoots a.224- 40 grain hornaday v-max bullet at 4150fps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.