Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Found two dens

Old 02-28-2007, 02:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Found two dens

Never hunted yotes but have alway's thought about it.

There is a place where they highway crews dispose of dead deer and my son found two den sites near by.

Would you hunt near them or set up on the dumping area at night?
Old 02-28-2007, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Found two dens

Personally I crawl inside the dens and sleep with the coyotes. I like to become one with the wildlife. DAMMNIT TED NUGENT, WHAT DID I TELL YOU.

Sorry Ted's crazy.

I would setup somewhere around the dens. Why not, they do live there.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm guessing those den sights, if active, are fox dens. Most coyotes don't use dens year around like a fox will. Coyotes usually will only use a den in severe winter conditons, and even then for a short period, and also during whelping season. Another time that a coyote may use a den would be if it was sick, such as having mange!
If you can hunt over the bait, and don't mind sitting out all night waiting, might take all night, might only take the sun going down to have action show up, then by all means, sit around and wait them out.
Or ya can shell out a few bucks and get a distress call, or two, or three, and learn how to call the furry critters to ya. Less time sitting around waiting this way, and lots more fun! Might be a little tough to call them to ya though, if they are getting a free meal every night, they won't be nearly as hungry and hence, not nearly as interested in a screemin' rabbit!
Old 02-28-2007, 07:24 PM

No matter whats in the dens I would hunt them anyway.
Old 02-28-2007, 10:41 PM
Fork Horn

Don't worry about seeing the bait or the "dens". Find a good setup in the area (300-500 yard radius), where wind is right and visibility is managable. Belt out a few howls and the coyotes who have laid claim to the area (Be it for denning or food) will come looking. I've killeda lot of coyotes BECAUSE of dead piles but never one OFF it.
Old 03-01-2007, 09:48 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks guys.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd take 5 gallons of water and pour it down each of the holes. Then take 1 gallon of gas an pour it down onto of the water, then drop a match an get back fast. The doggies will come out fast, if not and you smell hair burning, get about a 20ft piece of barbed wire, and spin it down the hole till you feel resistance then drag up the critter......An old timer told me of that trick!
Old 03-06-2007, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rammer

I'd take 5 gallons of water and pour it down each of the holes. Then take 1 gallon of gas an pour it down onto of the water, then drop a match an get back fast. The doggies will come out fast, if not and you smell hair burning, get about a 20ft piece of barbed wire, and spin it down the hole till you feel resistance then drag up the critter......An old timer told me of that trick!
Why the water, to keep stuff from catching fire? Does this actually work? I've used groundhog bombs (smokebombs) before, but never heard of this.
Old 03-06-2007, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

The water gives the gas a route to follow to the bottom of the den, and the gas sits on top of the water so burning is not an issue

It does work, and works very well!
Old 03-06-2007, 01:23 PM

Just dont try to force them out one side with someone or yourself on the otherside ready. Thats cheap and ive heard about people doing that more than once.

Quick Reply: Found two dens

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.