Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote Hunting

Old 02-23-2007, 07:32 PM

Default Coyote Hunting

Alright, I've never been coyote hunting nor do I have any relatives/friends that coyote hunt to help me out. Basically, I need a website or nice DVD that covers all the aspects of coyote hunting. Just like how HuntingNet.com's deer hunting, turkey hunting, etc. does. Great info in there, but no coyote hunting in it.

Also, some quick questions I have I'm sure someone can answer.

Recommended action?

If a bolt action is fine, will my 30-06 be overkill or just fine?

Is a semi-automatic necessary?

What's the average engagement range?

How's their sense of vision?

Smell?

Hearing?
Old 02-23-2007, 07:51 PM

Default RE: Coyote Hunting

Predator26-

Eyesight- tremendous
Sense of smell- better than you could imagine
Hearing- they can pinpoint your call within a couple of feet.
Bolt action 30-06 will work, but a bit excessive in recoil for shootin' 'Yotes
try a .223, 22-250, .220 Swift, .243, .204, and don't forget the 12ga with T shot or BBB to shoot 50 yds or less when they're in close.
You can use a semi but it isn't necessary.
Average range 50-300 yds--- depending on where you live/hunt.
I would log on to any coyote hunting website and read to get started or buy a DVD and watch it a few times. The rest is trial and error my friend!
Good luck...
Old 02-23-2007, 08:44 PM

ORIGINAL: 358WINMAN
I would log on to any coyote hunting website and read to get started or buy a DVD and watch it a few times. The rest is trial and error my friend!
Good luck...
lol that's the reason I made this thread, so you could give me links to the websites and names of the DVD's!

And with everything you told me, sounds like the little guys are a challenge and a half.
Old 02-24-2007, 09:13 AM

They are a challenge and a half and then some!!! I'm new to the sport of calling as well. Have made probably 20-25 stands now and still no kill. Have saw 2 coyotes, but neither were close enough for a shot. There is also Predatormasters.com, Varmintal.com, and try google and type in your state and the word predator, might find a "local" forum. Good luck hunting!!
Old 02-24-2007, 10:27 AM

predator26: where are you in NH. I am in Manchester and can give you some pointers to get started or If I can't answer your questions I can give you names and numbers and web links that can. I plan on going out tomorrow morning. for a while. Trust me, coyote hunting tactics are a bit different around here than other places so if you can have someone in your area help you it makes a big difference. It did for me!!

if you want I can shoot you an e-mail to answer your questions a little more in depth than in a thread.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:35 AM

Also, some quick questions I have I'm sure someone can answer.

Recommended action? any action is fine as long as you can shoot the rifle well!

If a bolt action is fine, will my 30-06 be overkill or just fine? what are you gonna do with it after you kill it? 30-06 will mess it up!

Is a semi-automatic necessary? No, but it helps in the thick stuff for quick follow ups.

What's the average engagement range? I have shot from 40 yards to 300 yards and had them within 6 feet.

How's their sense of vision? they can read Nike on a golf ball at 100 yards, maybe more (yes NH coyotes can read)

Smell? they can smell 1 part per million, play the wind!

Hearing? far better than ours!!
Old 02-24-2007, 01:16 PM

basically what you need to get started is camo, a gun, and a call. u can use the 30-06 if u don't plan on keeping the fur.

as for calling, start with something simple like a rabbit in distress. it's not hard. check out Randy Anderson's Calling all Coyotes 1 and 2 if you want to learn how to do some calling. if you get a call like Primos Lil' Dog some of them come with CD's to show u how to use it.

they are some tricky animals to hunt at least where i hunt in NY. my very first time trying to coyote hunt i called one in within 5 minutes of using the rabbit in distress. it was in a heavily wooded area and he came in 13 yards away and i missed him b/c i had to shoot around a tree. that was a year ago, i haven't called one in since but only went out maybe 5 or 6 times since then.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:27 PM

ORIGINAL: browning.204

predator26: where are you in NH. I am in Manchester and can give you some pointers to get started or If I can't answer your questions I can give you names and numbers and web links that can. I plan on going out tomorrow morning. for a while. Trust me, coyote hunting tactics are a bit different around here than other places so if you can have someone in your area help you it makes a big difference. It did for me!!

if you want I can shoot you an e-mail to answer your questions a little more in depth than in a thread.
haha I'm in Manchester too
Old 02-24-2007, 06:12 PM

Weird!!
Old 02-26-2007, 07:34 PM

I prefer bolt, a 30-06 would be overkill with the wrong kind of ammo, semi auto isnt necessary but some would prefer it especially if your hunting alone and if your yotes are in big packs, Vision smell and hearing is very very good, wind will be an issue and so will human scent and to much noise of course. I use scent elimination sprays and soaps and such and it seems to work very well.

Quick Reply: Coyote Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.