Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Mushrooms

Old 02-22-2007, 06:00 AM

Default RE: Mushrooms

Roadkill..i'm from Indiana as well. Northern part here. I usually dont find much of the blacks...some grays and lots of yellows. Had my best year ever last year. I found right around 600 yellows that I kept record of. Had a few times I'd find some here and there. I usually hit the woods end of april starting my season for them. What part are you from?
Old 02-22-2007, 06:28 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: metaldonnieg

I don't have a clue what your talking about, got some more detail?
Here's what they look like Donnie:

There's only one other 'shroom that resembles them, and it's toxic, but it isn't hollow inside. Here's what it looks like:

Old 02-22-2007, 07:24 AM
Fork Horn

well, i dont do it anymore but there was an old timer that used to live on them ,and he said to leave a third of what he found for seed. he would take some of them and smash them into the ground where he thought they would do well ( new location) and shure enugh the things would grow where he left the seed. the ones that you leave your supposed to gring into the ground, bring some down into your basement with some potting soil and give it a try. there used to be companys that sold mushroom kits for home growers, dont know where they are now.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:45 AM
Typical Buck

matters- Thats the best way to go, putting a couple fried mushrooms on a piece of bread with a little mustard. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.
chuckclear2000- I had that happen to me last year, I got all set up on a gobbler and as it got lighter I started seeing Big yellows all around me and started picking the ones closest to me and the rest later after I knew the bird wasnt going to work with me.
rhdeerslayer- I live In vermillion County Indiana. I usually do well with yellows every year. Last year wasnt my best for quantity but I did find some huge mushrooms. If there was such thing as a trophy Yellow morrel I found a few.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

how about the "hen of the woods" mushrooms?

they are the big masses you see on oak trees(mostly)

we got nearly 200lbs of them this year....soooooo awesome.!
Old 02-22-2007, 09:56 AM

Roadkill....I found the "motherload" on the way out of a woods lastyear. Decided I hadnt had enough walking so I took the long way out along some railroad tracks. I just happened to look down off the tracks in some briars and I about stroked out!! I found several yellows there that made a 20 oz pop bottle look small. Still trying to find those pics...I know I sent them to my puter somewhere. A few days later close to that spot I stopped in this clearing among some elms for a cig. My girlfriend calls on my cell and I start wondering around trying to get service and as I look down i'm stepping on yellows. It was an half acre clearing in the middle of a little elm grove of trees and there were just everywhere. I spent almost 2 hours there on my hands and knees peering through the grass finding them that day. Man...talking bout shrooming...making me hungry for some
Old 02-22-2007, 10:57 AM

My wife makes a big deal about the morels. So finally we went out and found some and cooked them up in the frying pan and butter... You know what, they taste exactly like the ferry mushrooms I used to pick as a kid. Those are some good eat'n thatis for certain. Either way you look at it, take the family out. Spend some quality family time together and get some good food to boot. Mmmmmmmmmmm

Emery
Old 02-24-2007, 04:13 PM
Typical Buck

i can't wait to get out this spring and find some...i could eat some up right now!
Old 02-25-2007, 10:46 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: moose1915

how about the "hen of the woods" mushrooms?

they are the big masses you see on oak trees(mostly)

we got nearly 200lbs of them this year....soooooo awesome.!
Me and my grandpa use to go out and picks tons of them. I havent had any for a while and I think that Im going to start looking for them again this year because they are pretty tasty. He use to also fry up puff ball mushrooms he found in his yard, along with almost every other mushroom he could find. He said ," Untill one kills me its dinner" but I never had the balls to try any of them.