Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Got new Coyote gun!

Old 02-19-2007, 07:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Got new Coyote gun!

I just bought a .204 today. It's a Rem. 700. I read and did alot of research on different cal. The .204 has a really good record and it seems to becoming very popular so the rounds should go down in price. Anyone have any testimonials with this cal.?
Old 02-19-2007, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Got new Coyote gun!

I don't know personally much about the .204 but I've read a lot about it, and it sounds great. I'm gonna be picking up a new yote gun soon and I think the .204 is going to be my choice. Good luck with your new toy, I'm sure you will love it.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

My friend the .204 hasnt been around long enough to have a history. I am not being a butt , it's just that it's a new comer. I have two hunting buddies that got one as soon as they came out . I still am not that impressed with them. I dont see what they offer over a .220 swift or a 22-250. Now those two have a history and the swift has one from the 30's!! Good luck and I am sure you will have alot of fun shooting the rifle.What scope are you getting?
Old 02-20-2007, 04:09 PM

I do have a .204. It is a Ruger M77 MkII, Target. I have a farmboy buddy who shoots varmint near daily. He had been shooting the 22-250 for many years, but swore to me that the .204 was a better shooter. Coming from him carried a lot of weight for me. I had read that they were pretty comparable, and bucked the wind pretty well. Very hard to believe! I don't shoot in a tremendous amount of wind anyway, but the .204 did just as well as the .22-250 that my father and Uncle shoot (at prairie dogs). Of course, we don't do the 400 + yards. 100-400 for us.
I have shot both, and am not convinced that the .204 does as well as advertised. I still believe that the 22-250 if superior in many ways. But I do very much enjoy the .204. I have found no downside yet. But, the most favorable thing about the .204 over the 22-250 is its appetite for gun powder. I reload both, and the .204 is cheaper to load.
I am dying to try the 220 swift. I keep hearing the good, and drool!
I think that you will love the light recoil of the .204 as well!
Enjoy!
Victor

Old 02-20-2007, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I shot my .204 today and was pretty impressed with it. The range I was at only went to 220 yds. At that range I was putting three rounds in a half dollar area. So, I'm impressed with it. So anyone who is thinking about getting one you'll like it. Sunday I'll have a chance to hunt the yotes with it. Last weekend I shot two yotes paired up. But I shot them with 30-06accelerators. Small bullet toooooooo much power. Not much to salvage from them. So thats why I bought the new rifle. Good luck to everyone!!!!!
Old 02-21-2007, 07:07 AM

My dad just baught a Savage 12 vlp (Varmint Low Profile) in .204 caliber. Its a dern tackdriver. He hasnt had time to kill anything yet with it but soon enough. Hope you like your new rifle,
Jake
Old 02-21-2007, 08:35 AM

Sounds like an awesome gun. I'll be looking into one of them.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:47 AM

Take a look at the ballistics b/w a .220 swift and a .204. The .204 has more energy and velocity at 400+ yards. Don't get me wrong, I love the swift, but the ballistic coefficients on the bullets give it more zip and more downrange energy than a Swift with any bullet weight compared to a .204 with a little 40grainer.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

The "little" .204 certainly looks like an excellent choice for coyotes. Judging from what I read, fast, flat, accurate, adequate energy at reasonable yardages, and low recoil. What more could a guy want.

I am looking at the Remington 700 VS SF II version.

Congratulations.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Come on do you really believe those charts? Every one always out does the swift, there is a reason that it gets compared to most often when a coyote round in question. It is the long lived top end of the varmit rounds.I can tell you from a lot of field experence and reloading for just about all of them(never loaded a .204) it is very hard to put anything above it.And it is not unusual for a rounds top end bullets (grain wise) to have great b/c. I think it is a good cartidge but I will stick to my swift.

Quick Reply: Got new Coyote gun!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.