HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Field Mice Problems (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/181234-field-mice-problems.html)

Texas Hog Hunter 02-19-2007 10:45 AM

Field Mice Problems

I'm not quite sure where this should be posted but figured some of you deer hunters knew how to alleviate the problem. We have a travel trailer out on our property on a concrete slab that we can't seem to keep the field mice out of. Almost everytime we go to our property (monthly) we place some rat/ mouse bait out for them to eat, but they still keep getting in our trailer and crapping all over it, and more importantly chewing up the wiring and plumbing lines. If anyone has a good fix I'm listening. We have just about decided to pull our trailer home at the end of season, but we won't have a place to stay in the off-season. Thanks for the input.

Red Lion 02-19-2007 11:14 AM

RE: Field Mice Problems

I would do two things. Find out how they are getting in your trailer and try to seal them off. Second, you could try the mouse poison that comes in little triangle boxes, that you leave for them to eat, and they croke off. I can not remember the kind I used, but went from having a couple mice, to having none in a week.

Hiawatha 02-19-2007 11:27 AM

You can try an locate some of the main cracks and crevices they may be etting in but sometimes figuring out where they got in is impossible. For example we had one get into the radio in the cab of our 4wd tractor. Cralwed in there and chewed on some wires shorting it out. How the heck does a mouse get 15 feet off of the ground and then into the cab radio somehow? I would put out more poison packages under the deck and get a cat. [8D]

North Texan 02-19-2007 11:27 AM

I kept about a 5' rattlesnake in one for a while. I just made sure I kept one in there that was big enough I could easily find him. Never had any problems with rats or mice.:D

stikbow26 02-19-2007 12:02 PM

Tex, Just get a 5 gallon bucket and smear peanut butter around the inside about 3 inch's down from the top, put about a gallon of water in thebucket and a pole up to the top of the bucket and you will catch mice by the dozens keeping them out of the trailer. Put it just outside or even inside you will wipe out whole families.. Walt

130woodman 02-19-2007 12:08 PM

I put out 3 cases of Decon in and ouside and I have been findind dead mice all over outside but nothing inside. It works, you just have to put enough out to kill them all.

Javabird17 02-19-2007 01:56 PM

We live on a farm.. very bad mouse and rat problem... We have adopted 2 kittens and 2 older cats for our barn.. I only caught 4 mice so far this year. Believe me that is far from what I was dealing with last year. The cats are really doing their job. Put out food for them every am . They are tearing our mice apart!!

Schobs 02-19-2007 02:41 PM

as good as poisons might work, there is a downside... the mice sometimes just store the poison around the camper, or if they're anything like some of the mice at my cabin, they love to "expire" inside the walls, making for a rather unpleasant odor. make sure u dont poison AND get a cat, thats no good. i like the peanut butter bucket idea, and you could also add some floating feed in there like sunflower seeds or in-shell peanuts to get em to go in there. hope this helps

Hiawatha 02-19-2007 03:03 PM

ORIGINAL: stikbow26

Tex, Just get a 5 gallon bucket and smear peanut butter around the inside about 3 inch's down from the top, put about a gallon of water in thebucket and a pole up to the top of the bucket and you will catch mice by the dozens keeping them out of the trailer. Put it just outside or even inside you will wipe out whole families.. Walt
lol i forgot about that little trick. I was over at my uncles place one day messin around in his shop and i saw this 20 litre pail sitting there with water and dead mice in it. I asked what they heck he was doing with this and he replied it was his form of rodent control.:D

andrewjoseph 02-19-2007 05:54 PM

I would get a male and female barn cat out there next to it with a little dog house for them to live in.