Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Field Mice Problems

Old 02-26-2007, 07:52 PM

Default RE: Field Mice Problems

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

They also carry a deadly virus called hantevirus. This virus is believed to get into people through breathing in the dust from deer mice(field mice) droppings.
Hantavirus isn't much of a threat outside of the 4 corner's area (Utah, New Mexico, Arizona, and Colorado. In those areas it's a theat although rarely contracted by humans with less than 300 reported case in the US from 1993-2006 and none east of Colorado.

That said, there a numerous other bacteria and viruses that mice harbor as well as the asthetic aspects that make it a good idea to try to keep them out of your living spaces.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:35 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: djschuett

They also carry a deadly virus called hantevirus. This virus is believed to get into people through breathing in the dust from deer mice(field mice) droppings.
Hantavirus isn't much of a threat outside of the 4 corner's area (Utah, New Mexico, Arizona, and Colorado. In those areas it's a theat although rarely contracted by humans with less than 300 reported case in the US from 1993-2006 and none east of Colorado.

That said, there a numerous other bacteria and viruses that mice harbor as well as the asthetic aspects that make it a good idea to try to keep them out of your living spaces.
Right. WE have had only three hantevirus cases in IA that I am aware of. One death, a turkey hunter, andtwo kids that got bit by a mouse. They are filthy creatures urinating all of the time.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:45 PM

Right. WE have had only three hantevirus cases in IA that I am aware of. One death, a turkey hunter, andtwo kids that got bit by a mouse. They are filthy creatures urinating all of the time.
Yup, pretty gross to think about but rats and mice are both incontinent, meaning that as their kidneys produce urine, it comes straight out leaving a nearly solid trail of urine wherever they go. Nasty stuff!

Makes you really want to eat at that NYC KFC/Taco Bell on the news with the rats running around, doesn't it?
Old 04-14-2011, 06:35 AM
Spike

Don't worry here is superb Pest Control Services .
Old 04-14-2011, 08:36 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Texas Hog Hunter
I'm not quite sure where this should be posted but figured some of you deer hunters knew how to alleviate the problem. We have a travel trailer out on our property on a concrete slab that we can't seem to keep the field mice out of. Almost everytime we go to our property (monthly) we place some rat/ mouse bait out for them to eat, but they still keep getting in our trailer and crapping all over it, and more importantly chewing up the wiring and plumbing lines. If anyone has a good fix I'm listening. We have just about decided to pull our trailer home at the end of season, but we won't have a place to stay in the off-season. Thanks for the input.

It's not the right place.
But hers your answer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSk79YcuIRQ

Fill it with water, and check it pretty often.
You wii run out of mice with this, lol

Good Luck.
Old 04-14-2011, 08:01 PM
Spike

They used to get in our camper but we were told to put alot of dryer sheets around on the inside. Sounds crazy but it worked. Smells good too.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

Very interesting, It has been my experience that you cannot seal a camper, trailer, etc from mice, it helps, but they will get in. The problem with poison is,,that a rotting mouse is about he most repulsive smell in the world, a single rotting mouse will drive you out I can not imagine what a couple would smell like. if you use poison, keep it outside!!!!! I like the bucket idea, I would have one outside and inside. as far as snakes go, I don't know anything about them but don't they only eat once a week or so? cats work, but if you are not around all the time that could be a problem, Good Luck
Doc