HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Jim Zumbo Update (Another Update) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/181085-jim-zumbo-update-another-update.html)

turkeyreaper 02-18-2007 12:07 PM

Jim Zumbo Update (Another Update)

Jim Zumbo blasted the AR community and is getting hisA$$ chewed on his Blog about it.

Jim Zumbo:

Assault Rifles For Hunters?

As I write this, I'm hunting coyotes in southeastern Wyoming with Eddie Stevenson, PR Manager for Remington Arms, Greg Dennison, who is senior research engineer for Remington, and several writers. We're testing Remington's brand new .17 cal Spitfire bullet on coyotes.

I must be living in a vacuum. The guides on our hunt tell me that the use of AR and AK rifles have a rapidly growing following among hunters, especially prairie dog hunters. I had no clue. Only once in my life have I ever seen anyone using one of these firearms.

I call them "assault" rifles, which may upset some people. Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to call them "terrorist" rifles. They tell me that some companies are producing assault rifles that are "tackdrivers."

Sorry, folks, in my humble opinion, these things have no place in hunting. We don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern. I've always been comfortable with the statement that hunters don't use assault rifles. We've always been proud of our "sporting firearms."

This really has me concerned. As hunters, we don't need the image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons. To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing. Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should ban them from the praries and woods

Update #1:

Response from Remington:
"As a result of comments made by Mr. Jim Zumbo in recent postings on his blog site, Remington Arms Company, Inc., has severed all sponsorship ties with Mr. Zumbo effective immediately. While Mr. Zumbo is entitled to his opinions and has the constitutional right to freely express those opinions, these comments are solely his, and do not reflect the views of Remington."

Response from Outdoor Life:
"Due to the controversy surrounding Jim Zumbo's recent postings, Outdoor Life has decided to discontinue the “Hunting With Zumbo” blog for the time being. Outdoor Life has always been, and will always be, a steadfast supporter of our Second Amendment"

Cabela's response:

"Dear Mr. XXXXXXX,

Thanks for your comments. While Cabela’s believes everyone has the right to express their own opinions, we strongly disagree with Jim Zumbo’s February 16 posting on his Hunting with Jim Zumbo blog on Outdoor Life’s Web site.

Throughout our 46-year history, Cabela’s has firmly supported all aspects of shooting sports. We strongly support the Second Amendment of the Constitution of the United States and the right of every U.S. citizen to purchase, own and enjoy any legal firearm of their choosing.

While we fully support Mr. Zumbo’s First Amendment right of free speech, we believe his opinions on this matter are counter to those shared by Cabela’s and many of our customers. Cabela’s Legal Department is currently reviewing contractual obligations and commitments regarding our sponsorship of the Jim Zumbo Outdoors television show.

Have a great day.
Sincerely,
Brent"

Update #2

http://nugeboard.tednugent.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/286904.html

FreeHunt.net 02-18-2007 12:39 PM

RE: Anybody who enjoys predator hunting with an AR-15 should read this

that is a pretty zumb statement by Mr. Dumbo

Dixon 02-18-2007 01:27 PM

Disgusting. Whata douche.

FRIAR 02-18-2007 01:49 PM

Jim needsa AR history lesson. When COLT first bought the design rights, the govt. wasn't buying, so they were marketed as sportsman rifles.

Besides the design, look, light-weight and low recoil, they are no different than any other semi-auto. What a poor fool.

turkeyreaper 02-18-2007 02:26 PM

Remington's Response:

ALL - Jim Zumbo in NO WAY speaks for Remington! His opinions are his own. We at Remington take our 2nd Ammendment Rights extremely seriously and ourselves market and manufacturer a AR based 308 rifle. Remington Arms supports the lawful use of all firearms by thier owners in whatever legal manner they choose. We at Remington feel that it is the diversity of our tastes and uses of fireaems that should also be the binding element that assists us all in defending the rights granted to us by our fore fathers.

Rest assured that remington not only does not support jim's view, we totally disagree! I have no explaination for his perspective.

I proudly own AR's and support everyones right to do so!

What makes me sick is how quickly people on the internet have called to boycott Remington. All Jim said was he was hunting with our people! This is normal course in our industry. How else do people think we field test? with writers.

Remington has spent tens of millions of dollars to defend your rights and how quickly the thanks is threat and boycott! Please feel Free to post that remington does not agree with Zumbo in any way shape or form and we will assess our relationship with him accordingly.

Tommy Millner
CEO and President

BlackLab 02-18-2007 03:30 PM

A little taken back by his statment. Usuallywhen you hear Jim's Zumbos name you think hunting, or story tellin time. Thanx 4 posting it's interesting.

turkeyreaper 02-18-2007 03:49 PM

Zumbo Apologizes

http://outdoorlife.blogs.com/zumbo/2007/02/i_was_wrong_big.html#comment-60866354

eatsleephunt 02-18-2007 08:18 PM

Anyone following the NRA thread on the bowhunting forum should read the responses to Zumbo's appology.

Thanks for posting that!

North Texan 02-18-2007 09:15 PM

[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]

stikbow26 02-19-2007 11:45 AM

Day late and dollar short, Jim already called us all a bunch of Terrorist. Now when the anti's want ammo they will just post his bullsh@t. Way to go Jim!!! Walt