HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Shotgun loads for coyote&fox? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/17965-shotgun-loads-coyote-fox.html)

lax 12-05-2002 01:57 PM

Shotgun loads for coyote&fox?

I was wondering what loads to use for Coyote and fox also what choke and range is best, I have a 10 gauge and a 3in 12gauge.

kodiakhuntmaster 12-05-2002 05:14 PM

RE: Shotgun loads for coyote&fox?

I've only done it for fox. I used a 12ga with 2 3/4" 6# shot, and then one time I used 2 3/4" 00 buckshot. Both worked fine. I used a full choke with the buckshot and a mod. choke with the 6's.

"Hey ya'll, watch this"

coyoteseeker 12-06-2002 04:23 PM

the 10 gauge is good for those reach out there and touch something shots as would the 3 incher but if there up close and personal those shoulder busters tend to rip them apart,assuming you want to save the pelts.i have found that a 28 barrel with a mod choke to work good with 2 3/4 inch magnum #4 shells.any of the turkey loads with bufferd shot work real well.this combo if there right on top of you will do some hide damage but lets you reach out to 35 plus yards.it is suggested that you pattern your gun at long yardage to find your max range with what ever shot size you use.up untill this year it wasn't legal for new yorkers to use any shot larger then #4 on predators so i can't comment on buckshot.it would seem logical to say that any kind of buckshot would do pelt damage at close range.for me,i'll give up a little range to do less pelt damage.

Cat Man Dooo 12-07-2002 07:09 PM

Let me give my .02¢ from a taxidermist point of view. Coyoteseeker has given some great and accurate info. Shotguns do tend to damage more hides than your average small cal. rifle shot without a doubt. I get more fox in that have been hit at close range (BB's) and end up losing
the hide from hair slip. Also, a head shot pretty much trashes the ears for any kind of mount as well. If one could use buckshot at a distance, (none of those 30 foot away shots) a few buckshot pellets would be far less damaging to the hide than 100 BB's. Either way, one is going to have to be careful with those close up shots. Ya wanna let the air out of them critters, but not blow the lungs out the other side!

Thanks and just though I would throw that in.

Nomercy 12-09-2002 12:29 PM

I usually go with 00, 2, or 4 shot, sometimes I'd use 6, but not often unless I know they'll be nibbling on my clothes before I see them.

Screw the 10 ring, keep them in the zero!!!

soonershooter 12-13-2002 01:30 AM

The original poster never mentioned he wanted to mount a coyote. Besides after you get one mounted how many mounts does one person need of a coyote? Let the rest take a charge of buffered BB's in a 3" mag from Federal. It is lethal to long range and has enough pattern for close range work through brush. The only problem is I had to order a couple of boxes from my dealer because he doesn't have much demand for them so you might want to call first.

Cat Man Dooo 12-14-2002 12:15 AM

Your right, he didn't, but assuming that most people that hunt fox and coyote sell these hides or get mounts done, would consider and be concerned about the damage from such loads. My point of view and or opinion was made only for those who might want to sell or get something mounted, nothing more. I'm one who has to deal with the fox with the 6 inch hole in the side or the ears and face look like swiss cheese and the guy who sends it to me and he wonders why it won't make a nice mount. On the other hand, if this poster was to specify that he was going to just kill these and let them rot in the field, feel free to give them both barrels!