Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coydogs!!!

Old 01-29-2007, 02:15 PM

Default Coydogs!!!

Has anyone ever seen any of these big aggressive things! One of my relatives has a Coydog running around his place and its huge and really mean! anyone see or shoot any ever? tyvm
Old 01-29-2007, 04:10 PM

Default RE: Coydogs!!!

i thought they were a myth. wouldn't a coyote be more likely to eat/attack another dog rather than breed w/it?
Old 01-29-2007, 04:51 PM
Fork Horn

Not if the ole girl is in heat. It happens quite a bit. They are worse than a coyote. Really agressive.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

They are rare, BUT if a male coyote breeds with a dog, you end up with the coydog. Even more rare is when the male dog breeds with the female coyote, and there is another name for them, but I can't remember what they are called off the top of my head. The only way to really know if a critter is truely a coydog is by DNA testing! There are coyotes that look much different than a normal coyote that aren't anything but a coyote!
Old 01-29-2007, 07:48 PM

They are starting to become more and more common everywhere. I dont agree with Howler a whole lot..... Most coyotes look mostly the same (some with different color differentials). The Coydog that is around here though is definately one though. You can see the coyote in it for sure and it also looks like his dog that ran away last year about this time. It's for sure a Coydog. She was in heat or should have been about the time she left. She was in heat in about July or early August so yea that would be about right. anyone else know much about these mean ole things?

Old 01-29-2007, 08:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

The dogote is what the cross breed is called when a male dog breeds with a female coyote. Both the coydog and the dogote are RARE! the reason they may seem to be more aggresive is believed that the cross breeds still carry the cunning traits of a coyote but lack the fear of humans due to the dog traits they may still carry.
the only true way to tell if the animal is a coyote, a coydog, or dogote is by DNA testing!! Believe it or not!!
Old 01-30-2007, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

A ferral dog is a slick character too sometimes.Ive seen alot of the coydog mixes in San Diego.There even the coyotes are like tame dogs,I shoot them with a bow,not realy challanging but its a living.
The ferral dogs ive seen are in the midwest and i consider them more dangerous than an ex-wife with a knife.They can be slick,but they will come after you in numbers.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:28 AM
Typical Buck

I get cussed at all the time.But I shoot every dog I call in when hunting pub hunting.In one day I called in 11 dogs in public hunting.I shhot a 223 so the bulets dont cost much. O and dont forget the house cats.

Funny thing is after I huntmost allplaces for a few years there gets to be a lot more rabbits and birds.The only time the numbers do not go up is if people get lot more dogs to run free.

charles
Old 01-30-2007, 01:13 PM

I still cant aggree with Howler.... You dont usually need a DNA test to determin if its a coydog or dogote. Most of the time if youve seen some or can really see major characteristics of coyotes and dogs mixed. Its not always necessary.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:20 PM

ORIGINAL: ELKINMTCWB

I get cussed at all the time.But I shoot every dog I call in when hunting pub hunting.In one day I called in 11 dogs in public hunting.I shhot a 223 so the bulets dont cost much. O and dont forget the house cats.

Funny thing is after I huntmost allplaces for a few years there gets to be a lot more rabbits and birds.The only time the numbers do not go up is if people get lot more dogs to run free.

charles
by dogs do you mean domestic dogs? they must be somewhat wild if they come in to your call right?

guess thats one alternative to having your pet spade or neutered.

Quick Reply: Coydogs!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.