Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Going to try crow hunting tomorrow

Old 01-21-2011, 03:41 AM
Typical Buck

Default Going to try crow hunting tomorrow

Well tomorrow is the big day, I am going to try crow hunting. I bought a call and made a few decoys using coat hangers and black duct tape. Hopefully I can get a few shots. Will probably get after some squirrels first though.

Anyone have any tips on crow hunting?
Old 01-21-2011, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

I was beginning to think I was the only one who crow hunted lol well if it's really steep terrain get on top of a high point for starters. Full camo is not required like you'd think a camo shirt is enough. Let the call go for about 3 or 4 mins nonstop and if you haven't seen any listen if you don't hear them hollering move to another location. As for loads many people think there hard to put down and I use to be one but after spending 11 bucks a box on high brass shells a few times in a month I tryed 71/2 lowbrass dove loads and they kill em just a dead at the same ranges as highbrass and they kick less and are cheaper. I like the Remington little sureshot loads. This time of year they will come into the call but sometimes it takes a little bit to get there curiosity up. I love crow hunting if you got any question ask I'll be glad to help
Old 01-21-2011, 05:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you shoot one ~ leave him visable to the others. They will keep checking on their wounded brother.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:22 PM
Typical Buck

Well I went crow hunting and bagged a squirrel. I setup my homemade decoys and stepped just inside the woods. I had two pairs of crows come in and I shot at one of each pair and missed. They wouldn't quite commit to the decoys, probably because they don't look real enough.

While I was standing there calling, I heard something on the tree about 20 feet behind me. I knew the sound and turned to see a squirrel so I bagged him.

I went to Gander Mountain and bought a couple crow decoys that look very real. Hopefully next weekend I can get the crows to come in for a closer look.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:54 PM
Inactive

Yoou might try giving an owl decoy a try. Crows will attach an owl if they see it.