HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Wanting info on yote dogs (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/173753-wanting-info-yote-dogs.html)

bigiron 01-05-2007 06:23 PM

Wanting info on yote dogs

I would like to get some dogs to run coyotes.

gumbyhead 01-05-2007 07:28 PM

RE: Wanting info on yote dogs

Hunting yotes with dogs does'nt even make sence.....how would you do that

okiejaco 01-05-2007 07:42 PM

Do you want greyhounds or running walkers?

metaldonnieg 01-05-2007 08:27 PM

I've read about guys using dogs to lure coyotes in. They'll put it on one of those ground lines where they can run and have two hunters on each side tossing it treats so it'll run back and forth between the two. This commotion gets the coyotes attention and makes them want to assert their dominance.

Again, only read about it. Have not and will not try it.

bigiron 01-05-2007 10:46 PM

ORIGINAL: okiejaco

Do you want greyhounds or running walkers?
What do you think I dont know a whole lot about it yet

Baleful Scout 01-06-2007 01:36 AM

Sometimes a bitch in heat will lure a rogue in.
Very Rarely.
You need a dog that can run faster than a yote...good luck.

A "good 'ol boy" down the road from me has a few Pit Bulls he uses for hogs mostly.
I know he has put them on Coyotes with success.

Howler 01-07-2007 07:49 AM

Mountain cures are used by many callers out west. The dogs will actually go to the coyotes and then come back to the handler, with coyote in tow. The dogs don't/can't out run the coyotes. I've got one of the videos called "doggin coyotes". This method is most productive in the spring, during denning season, since this is when the coyote is the most territorial. The dogs can be used any time in the winter, but most effective in the spring! If you live and hunt in the wide open spaces or the west, this type of hunting looks like it would work well and be fun.

jhoffman 01-07-2007 02:16 PM

They use running walker and plotts out where I am in NY - They run 3 -6 dogs at a time with another bunch in the trucks when the dog in the field tire out they turn out fresh dogs on the track - A guy I know has a big 90lbs plott that he uses and that dog will flat out tackle and kill a coyote himeself - Most of the time they will just wear the yote down get him bayed up somewhere and the hunter go in and make the kill shot. It's getting pretty popular around here.

Blueditch42 01-07-2007 06:26 PM

Go to www.preadatormastersforums.com they run yotes with dogs. Real good site.

LagroHuter1 01-09-2007 03:15 AM

Have no use for them. We had some guys were I live doing that and I saw how it goes down .Finally got the land owners around me and the Conservaction Officer to put a stop to it. HATE IT 100%.