HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Home made shooting sticks (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/172757-home-made-shooting-sticks.html)

callemin 12-31-2006 09:17 AM

Home made shooting sticks

Does anybody have plans to make a pair of shooting sticks. I could buy some but would rather make a pair. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Baleful Scout 12-31-2006 09:42 AM

RE: Home made shooting sticks

I have always used a forked stick like you use to hold your fishin rod.cut to desireable length(I like waste high) helps in moving briars and the single leg can find a resting place no matter what.

Another thing I have used is two tobacco housingsticks.
measure 6" or so down each stick and drill hole.
wrap each stick in camo tape or felt.
secure the two sticks with a small bolt/washers/nut leaving just tight enough to barely move.
if you cant find housing sticks anystraight wood of equeal lengthwill work

callemin 12-31-2006 09:54 AM

Baleful scout
I have used a forked stick and it does work just fine. But I once saw a pair made from two oak sticks approx waist high. If I remember correctly he fastened them with a bolt and nut and used a ten speed bike inner tube which was fastened from the top of one stick to the other stick. He then stretched the tube around the barrel. It stayed put real nice. Has anyone else seen a set up like this?

deerdown2 12-31-2006 09:54 AM

I heard to use the fiberglass driveway markers. They are about 36" high. Tied them together with rope/leather, and wallah - shooting stix. I made my own with 1x2's with a bolt in the middle....

callemin 12-31-2006 09:56 AM

Deerdown2
That sounds like a good idea. I will keep definitely consider that.

Baleful Scout 12-31-2006 10:05 AM

ORIGINAL: callemin

Baleful scout
I have used a forked stick and it does work just fine. But I once saw a pair made from two oak sticks approx waist high. If I remember correctly he fastened them with a bolt and nut and used a ten speed bike inner tube which was fastened from the top of one stick to the other stick. He then stretched the tube around the barrel. It stayed put real nice. Has anyone else seen a set up like this?
I have seen this but when the bullet is propelled down the barrel, the barrel itself ripples...
I NEVER let ANYTHING touch my barrel...I have went through great strides to insure my barrel is "free-floating"
may have no bearing but its burned into the back of my mind.
my opinion

Criggster 12-31-2006 10:19 AM

I made a pair out of two oak dowel rods. Make sure you get oak; it will last much longer. I purchased some 5/8" dowel rods, 3/8" bolt, black washer, and wing nut. I drilled a hole 3 1/2" from one end of both rods inserted the bolt through one rod inserted the washer then threaded the rest of the bolt through the second rod. Tighten it down with the wing nut. I then used black electrical tape to tape the portion of the rods above the bolt, and a few places down the rod to reduce noise. Finally, I sharpened the ends of the rods to stick into the ground. It works darn good and cost about $10! The only downside is the length of the rods. They can be combersome at times.

TEmbry 12-31-2006 11:47 AM

varmintal.com

check that sight out the have something called the bi-fur-pod. looks like a good design.

ford351win 12-31-2006 01:06 PM

A direct link to varmint al is http://www.varmintal.com/abifu.htm

I have made a set of shooting sticks using these plans, 1/4 inch square metal tubing, a bolt, three flat washers and a wing nut. Simply cut two equal length sections of tubing to the desired length. Drill both sections in the same place far enough down to provide a good place for you gun when you are done. Bolt the sticks together placing a washer in the middle of the sticks to allow for smoother operation. A nice finishing touch is to use adhesive backed felt strips at the top to prevent damaging the finish of your gun. I found the felt last longer, and worked better than foam weather stripping I first tried.

My sticks are too heavy to carry when I walk through the woods so I only use them in a ground blind when I am set up and don’t plan on moving any time soon.

jsb57 01-01-2007 11:28 AM

i kind of used the design off of varmintal but just took some 7/8 inch wooden dowels and drilled a hole in them put a bolt thru and then sprayed some flat green camo paint on them work great