Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Any Trappers here

Old 12-28-2006, 09:35 AM

Default Any Trappers here

Just wondering if any of you varminters are into trapping also.

Myself I just started to get into it. I haven't caught anything yet, all in good time.

The freakin snow has all my traps buried right now, but I need to pull them and wax them anyhow (I just learned of this process)

So, How bout it?
Old 12-28-2006, 09:53 AM

Default RE: Any Trappers here

Yes I do a bit a trappig used to be into it very heavily but it takes a lot of time and I just don't have much of it available right now. I do have a couple of coon sets out and I am going to put out a couple coyote and fox sets as soon as the wether figures out if it is going to be cold or warm - this back and forth thing is not good for trapping - you make a set and it freezes up - you freshen up a frozen set and then it rains and washes your set out then freezes up again - its tough -

I am going to put out a handfull of muskrat and Beaver Sets in the Creek by my house too - I found a spot where a Beaver made a Dam and looks like he is just bank denning - I don't see a lodge anywhere - but it appears he is still there -

Prices are up this year so it makes it all worth while and gives you something to do in the down time after deer season is out.

Good luck - you'll learn a lot more about the animals you hunt once you start trapping. The most knowledgable woodsmen I know are all trappers.

Old 12-28-2006, 02:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I trap. I mostly go after water sets. Beaver,muskrat,mink and coon. So far I have taken 9 Beavers,1 mink and 142 muskrats. I work full time and trap. between the both I have very little free time.

Old 12-28-2006, 05:50 PM

Have you caught any coons with water sets yet?
Old 12-29-2006, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not bad for part time!!! I take it this isnt your first seasion.I love trapping and realy love trapping areas where nobody has laid steel in 20 years.Dirt-water,doesnt matter.Ill trap mice if there isnt anything else arround.
ORIGINAL: SPIKEHORN11

I trap. I mostly go after water sets. Beaver,muskrat,mink and coon. So far I have taken 9 Beavers,1 mink and 142 muskrats. I work full time and trap. between the both I have very little free time.

Old 12-29-2006, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: furgitter

Not bad for part time!!! I take it this isnt your first seasion.I love trapping and realy love trapping areas where nobody has laid steel in 20 years.Dirt-water,doesnt matter.Ill trap mice if there isnt anything else arround.
ORIGINAL: SPIKEHORN11

It isn't for muskrats but this is my first year for beavers. I picked up number 10 today. made some new sets and tomorrow will tell. I have made coon sets but not connected. I made 4 pocket sets for mink today. The other mink I have gotten have been in rat sets. I go over my gaunlets every day making sets. Plus I blew a hole in my waders today. I'm beat.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hay spikehorn,
Let me tell you about a typical day on my line.Filling your waders is bad but its worse when its on the inside.Thats right, It was raining and cold.Everything muddy and cold.Water levels up so i had to redo everything.I didnt want to crap in the field and thaught i was o.k. for a while.I was wrong.Not a typical day like i first said but something bad is going to happen and you know it.Like construction work,every monday morning you should hit yourself with something just to get it overwith.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:26 AM

novice; help with information with trappinf beavers
Old 01-08-2007, 09:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

This is my first time in years at doing a lot of trapping. I've been running from 1 to 10 sets off and on. I go almost entirely with water sets for coons in feeder streams since they drain off quickly even after a heavy rain. The body count for me so far is 28 coons (averaging close to XX) and 1 decent coyote.
However, if the damn river in my back yard will ever go down, I'm going to go after some rats and beaver. That's where the money seems to be this year.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:05 AM

Where do you find out how much the animals your trapping are worth. I use to trap coons in high school, but never sold the furs, just gave them to an old man who wanted some coons to eat. I am in tampa fl, and would like to do some trapping around here, and back home in Louisiana. My brother acqured some land and has a major beaver problem. So if i can catch the animals what would I do with them next.

Quick Reply: Any Trappers here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.