Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 How Often Do You Miss When Rabbit Hunting? >

How Often Do You Miss When Rabbit Hunting?

Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

How Often Do You Miss When Rabbit Hunting?

Old 12-26-2006, 01:18 PM

Default How Often Do You Miss When Rabbit Hunting?

I went on my first rabbit hunt Saturday. I shot at 5, killing only one. I was just wondering if anyone else has ever missed this much while starting out. I was using a pump shotgun that was slightly clunky to shoulder up.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How Often Do You Miss When Rabbit Hunting?

We usually get about 75% of the rabbits our dogs run. There is alot of things that can happen. They can run on others land, hole up, or just flat out trick the dog. Today we ran 13 rabbits and got 10. That's with a good set of beagles though.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:06 PM

I've never missed with a shotgun, might be because 99% of the small game hunting I do is with a .22lr so the spread makes it seem easy.

I would personally suggest keeping the gun shouldered but pointed in a SAFE direction, most likely down. That way when you see one all you have to do is point and pull the trigger. Stay on the ready. I hunt with the theory in mind that the less moving I have to do once game is spotted, the better.

edit: I suppose I should mention that I just walk until I find them. I don't shoot running ones usually. I also don't use dogs.
Old 12-26-2006, 03:06 PM

i get to go on my first tomorow but i cant take my beagle which sucks
Old 12-26-2006, 05:08 PM
Typical Buck

when using a shotgun i rarly miss. With a .22 i miss way more than i hit. But i still like .22s better.
Old 12-26-2006, 05:40 PM

I primarily hunt with a .22 andrarely miss, BUT, I'll only take slam dunk headshots.

I'd guess I'm batting around .750 with the 20 ga.

Overall I may not kill a lot of them, but those I do are normaly spot-and-stalk head shots,and that's just way to fun to change.
Old 12-26-2006, 08:57 PM

Don't feel bad at all, when they are running it is a hard shot even with a shotgun, I have shot at 4 or 5 running with the shotgun and have only got one, and last year I shot one with the .22 and it ran down it's hole and I tried to dig it out with no luck and that felt real bad not being able to retrive it. I am going tomorrow so we will see how I shoot! lol.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:36 PM

I use a .22 lr and ive never missed. lol not bragging or anything. I mostly do head shots because anything else ruins the little meat that is there. Ive shot 1 rabbit with a bow.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Either someone is lying or we have a lot of professionals on here.

I've never missed with a shotgun
when using a shotgun i rarly miss
I primarily hunt with a .22 andrarely miss
I use a .22 lr and ive never missed

Old 12-27-2006, 10:48 AM

i'm not lying nor am i a professional. i said i don't typically take running shots

Quick Reply: How Often Do You Miss When Rabbit Hunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.