HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   pro coyote hunting arguments (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/171685-pro-coyote-hunting-arguments.html)

tschaef 12-24-2006 04:41 AM

pro coyote hunting arguments

I hunt a 100 acre hobby farm that my friend owns (leases out the fields to neighbours). I hunt deer archery and turkey with shotgun. I have passed on many coyotes because the owner is a dog lover (has a beautiful german sheppard) and sees no reason to harm them (he argues that if I shoot something we eat it).
Recently Rain (his dog) got to howling back and forth with a pack of yotes and they came in close to the farm house. Now my friend is having second thoughts, hes worried about his dog and cats safety.

Give me some ammo to help push him over the edge, I need some good points to throw at him to get permission to take out he yotes!

Howler 12-24-2006 07:14 AM

RE: pro coyote hunting arguments

For one, just like all the other critters we hunt, tell him you're not going to wipe them out. There will always be coyotes around.
You can sell the hide, so it's not like you're "wasting" the animal!
Once the coyotes get his dog or cats, then he'll see the light! Some people are just that way. They love all critters until they hurt something THEY love!
I wonder if he has ever trapped a mouse in the house! He killed it, but did he eat it? Whats the difference?

furgitter 12-24-2006 07:46 AM

I deal with coyote issues all over the country.I kill them,Im not considdering myself an expert,cause i dont know any latin words for coyote and never went to school for coyoteoligy.I suggest you hit google and look for the list of coyote attacks in southern calif.you can get the most recent 99 attacks.Everyone is a tree hugger there till there dog gets ate.I m just a guy who loves his job,and ill drive 4000 miles to trap coyotes for a week! They can and have killed large attack dogs so his dogs are in trouble.In early Feb.the coyotes will be more active and agressive,this will go on till late april.Then again when the pups are hungry,the coyotes will compete for food june-july-aug.Get those coyotes killed asap!

jake smith09 12-24-2006 02:12 PM

Tell him the kind of destructive force coyotes can have to pets and property!

alsaqr 12-25-2006 05:10 AM

If Rainkeeps ontalking with the coyotes he will soon be supper or a late snack. Then you will be able to shoots coyotes on that place.

tschaef 12-25-2006 07:58 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone, there are too many yotes on this piece of land, one time on a walk Rain found an entire deer fawn leg, we didn't come across the rest of the carcass, but we're pretty sure the coyotes are to blame.

Merry Christmas all ;).

crimedog 12-25-2006 10:25 AM

Like all animal coyote need to be managed, when you hunt rabbit, andbushey tails you take food from the coyote availability, eventually you will take enough over time to impact the entire ecosystem. Depending on the size of the land around the farm you may need to take a number of preditors likefox, coyote, opossum, racoon, and ferral cats if any just to manage the property right.

Jrbhunter 12-27-2006 06:28 PM

I'd be looking for another friend instead of pleading my case just to hunt.

Anyone that can twist an affection for lapdogs into the protection of nuisence predators is reaching a little bit.

tschaef 12-27-2006 08:58 PM

Jrb, a german sheppard is hardly a lapdog.
And the idea of looking for a new friend? I've known the guy for 20yrs, we are good friends, he lets me build permanent stands on his prop, and he shares in the meat I harvest. Neither he or any of his family hunt, I am damn lucky to knowthe manand have the permission.
Agood friend is worth more than hunting grounds IMHO.

RJH 12-27-2006 11:57 PM

I would bring up the fact of managment for the sake of all animals on the property (deer, quail, rabit, fox ). If he is worried about just killing them to kill themtell him you willskin them out and sell the fur or use the hides yourself and him. And no a shepard is not a lap dog but there is still a danger. My neighbors rott got jumped by three but he got them off him those yotes don't fight fair. Good luck .