Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Look what I found today

Old 02-09-2007, 11:05 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Look what I found today

ORIGINAL: nctaxi

mike - you should really try it some time. It is as challenging as bowhunting, a lot harder than rifle hunting. Trapping is just an inconvenience to the animal, that grey could have been released without any damage. I started trapping this year and had a blast, traps today are designed to hold the animal without doing damage to it. I caught 2 grey fox that I had to release, the male fought a little but the female was just as docile as can be. They both took off without any signs of damage. The challenge of trapping is to get a target animal tostep in a roughly 3 inch area. If you look at the picture you can see that the fox is not hurting and pulling, it's just stuck. That fox could have been in that trap for 10 min or 10 hrs but it's not chewing it's leg off, like some people would like you to believe. He did a great job and got what he was trapping for. I'm not giving you a hard time just inviting you to try it or go out with someone who is an experienced trapper and see exactly what trapping is all about.
yea thats the fun and challenge with trapping, anyone can shoot an animal, but trying to lure them in, and get them to step into a tiny spot is a challenge! Alsoin general, trappers pick up on the smallest of details that most other hunters miss many a times. it really is a blast to learn the traits and habits of various animals, and plus you can make a little extra change in the process
Old 02-09-2007, 11:06 PM
Fork Horn

ohh forgot to add....beautiful grey!!
Old 03-10-2007, 08:31 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: whchunter

How do you release without being bitten by the critter? I mean you have to open the trap that's attached to the leg right? No wild fox would let you get that near without trying to take your hand off.
Also as another asked.....how do you dispatch the critter and if shooting...what do you use and where do you place the shot?
Youd have to use a pole or something to open up the trap.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:32 AM
Typical Buck

nice pics